SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Templates without Dreamweaver, FrontPage, WYSIWYG program

Hi Folks,

I am just curious.

One of the reasons I use Dreamweaver is the ability to create a template and easily update pages based on that template. How do you create and maintain a website based on a template without using some sort of application or content management system?

It's just that, in some forums, designers/developers seem to be creating these amzing sites just using BBedit.

Thanks.
    VRM

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a regular text editor to build complex websites. You can do it one of two ways:

1) Use a server-side include method to create a header and footer (or more if needed) with common code and simply "include" it on each page.

2) create a HTML template and simply use it for all of your pages. Just open it up in your text editor and save it with a new file name. Then add the new code for that specific page.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use php includes, etc., but I'm guessing you code regular html. Just build a template then copy the code you want to use over and over again and save that into a separate file (header,footer,other).

The pages that you want these include files to show up in then need to have the .shtml extension, otherwise they won't work.

Check out these for more explanation:
    http://www.webreference.com/programming/ssi/intro/
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/we...le.php/3473341

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrmartin
    Hi Folks,
    It's just that, in some forums, designers/developers seem to be creating these amzing sites just using BBedit.
    Maybe they are just amazing designers/developers ;-)
    You can use any html editor to create a great looking site. It's how you use the editor of choice to help enhance your workflow I guess.

If you use DW, you can also use templates in conjunction with includes... should speed up the process even further... I did have a link for something on this, but don't have it handy (lost in a recent browser crash :\ )

Nadia