SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sircam Virus...I think? Please help.

Can anyone help me out here. Someone just called me and told me that I have been sedning hin the Sircam virus for a couple months now....he just now decided to call me and let me know. He said my email program sends him 20 emails a day. He said he knew it was me b/c he checked the header and my email addy was in there. Anyhow, I know nothing about viruses, I don't know how I got being I never opened one of those attachments (knowing what they were), I just deleted them. I use Microsoft Outlook and sometime Outlook Express too. Can anyone give me advice of what to do or where to go?

Thanks so much,
    Stephanie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Get rid of Ms Outlook. The new "viruses" that are coming out, do not require you to even open the attachment. They will execute when you just view the message. I am not sure if Sircam is one of them or not. Eudora is great, you might check it out http://www.eudora.com

2) Go to http://www.norton.com/avcenter and look up your virus. It will show you how to remove it. Its number 2 listed under "top virus threats" heading

3) Or, I suppose you could download/purchase an antivirus program, which is not a bad idea considering you are using outlook :/

Hope this helps.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though you can't be sure, I would say that if your computer is working properly otherwise, you don't have Sircam. It renders your programs unusable with the exception of the internet pretty quickly. It will also spread to any other computers if you are networked.

Do check at Symantec to be sure. Look up Sircam in their virus database and also check for other viruses. I believe you can do a free check there to see if something shows up.

Is your computer working okay? Can you get into other programs such as word processing? If you can, it probably isn't Sircam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, just as I was typing this: "Thank you for all the suggestions. Now I am not sure I have Sircam b/c my computer is working fine as are all my programs." I got this email from the person who thought it was me:

"Greetings,

This freakin virus is making me crazy. It turns out it may not be
    you. It looks like it was trying to send it to an invalid email
    address to you as well.

I removed the virus from the docs it sends me an they have no
    information about who may be sending it.

Dammit!!

Sorry, But I am getting around 20 megs of sircams a day from this
    one person (whoever it is). It is causing a lot of trouble."

In any case, I am wary enough now to go get a new antivirus program. All I have now is an old version of McAfee Gurdian and McAfee VSheild. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting an Antivirus! Good idea!

I like Nortons AntiVirus from Symantec site mentioned above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Renegade
    1) Get rid of Ms Outlook
    I'm using OE and I've never had a problem with a virus. Of course I have Norton AV, so that's a must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Paul S
    I'm using OE and I've never had a problem with a virus. Of course I have Norton AV, so that's a must.
    OE is not the culprit, the regular version of Outlook is. Most virii do not affect OE like they do Outlook.

Yes, your computer can be infected with Sircam, and still operate normally. Allie, please read the documentation on Norton av site.

the virus CAN, but probably WON'T delete all files on C drive. This is due to a bug in the code of the virus.

Its best not to take chances with these things. Get av protection, and run that Sircam cleaner tool from norton ASAP
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Renegade
    Yes, your computer can be infected with Sircam, and still operate normally. Allie, please read the documentation on Norton av site.
    I agree with you, that's why you need to scan your PC regularly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So should I first download the Norton antivirus software and then run the removal tool?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is symantec's link to info on Sircam:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...m.worm@mm.html

Renegade, I am very familiar with the information on Sircam. Please do note that I suggested going to the Symantec site and doing a free virus scan. This is a definite. Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. It should detect Sircam or any other virus if any. If a virus is detected, there is a removal tool there that you can use.

As far as Sircam interferring with the operation of your computer, this can vary. I do know, having walked a couple of people through the process of removing it and talked to others that got it that their computers were not operating properly. They were experiencing things such as an inability to get to certain programs on their computer while still being able to email and connect to the internet.

Also FYI, I use Outlook and it has alerted me to probably 15 instances of Sircam, not to mention numerous other viruses before Norton AntiVirus had a chance to catch it. It is one of the things I like about Outlook in spite of what others say. You just have to be sure that you have downloaded and installed all the security patches.

Don't think anyone will dispute the fact that you need AntiVirus software on your computer. Also a firewall, especially if you use a cable, always-on connection. ZoneAlarm is a good free firewall.
    Last edited by allie; Oct 31, 2001 at 16:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have any anti-virus software installed on my PC and the removal tool still worked.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umair,

I thought there was a free virus scan at Symantec but upon checking there isn't unless I missed it. There is a security check only. Maybe Macfee has one? Not sure.

Yes, the Sircam removal tool could be used without any antivirus software on the computer. Just thought it might be a good idea for the poster to do a scan to detect whether there were any other viruses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found and used the Virus scan. Turned out I had 2 infected files (not sircam) one is JS seeker and I followed the instructions but could not remove it. The other was some sort of Kak Worm which I easily removed following their instructions. Thanks Allie!

Next I am off to get Norton Antivirus software.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are welcome. I believe you will like Nortons Antivirus. It's very easy to use. Once, you install it, just update your definitions on a weekly basis. Sign up for their email virus alerts so you will know to update immediately if a new one is making the rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ughhh..installing Norton Antivirus has become a nightmare for me. I have a message in the helpdesk waiting to be answered right now and after reading through the many other complaints there, it seems many others have the same exact problems I am having with it. Norton is not making a good first impression on me.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stephanie,

Did you get your Norton installation problem solved? If not, provide more info about the problem you are experiencing and your hardware and software and maybe one of the "techies" here can help you.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by phanie12.geo
    ughhh..installing Norton Antivirus has become a nightmare for me. I have a message in the helpdesk waiting to be answered right now and after reading through the many other complaints there, it seems many others have the same exact problems I am having with it. Norton is not making a good first impression on me.
    is the virus still in your system? if it is that could be what's causing the installation to screw up...