Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Is that the cPanel girl?
    Could be! Here she is on a stock site, and I just realised scrolling through this guy's portfolio that she's "9. Ewa, the Polish Everywoman" on the original cliche photos page

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fish jumping out of bowl. See it all the time.
    What does that mean, anyway? 'Our business model is suicidal'?

By the way, how on earth would you sell the idea of being a stock girl to a model?
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ankerstjerne
    What does that mean, anyway? 'Our business model is suicidal'?
    Hehe

By the way, how on earth would you sell the idea of being a stock girl to a model?
    I think he's married to her so I guess split profits would be the motivation. For most other models they'd have to sign a model release so the rights to the photograph would belong to the photographer I guess.

SitePoint Enthusiast GnomeyNewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is halirous. I have always noticed the same stock photos from website to website, and some of them I am ready to issue a browser block on if that is possible! I guess these companies don't get around as much.
    Sarah :c)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my issue with stock images is that they often look dated... like the image was taken in 1980... and most of them are old as photographers will try to sell their older work to stock sites

another thing is that they look too posed... too perfect and generic... I want images that I can relate to, not the web designers fantasy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cinn72
    my issue with stock images is that they often look dated...
    Yeh, I love it when the obligatory 'laptop in the boardroom' is 2 inches thick!

Paul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another thing is that they look too posed... too perfect and generic... I want images that I can relate to
    Exactly! I always recommend to my web clients that they use their own staff for their site photos if possible, it's usually not too expensive to get a professional photographer in, and the staff have fun getting dressed up and being photographed for most of the day. It makes a site look much more unique and personable because you can tell they're photos of real people.

not the web designers fantasy
    Hehe, as a full time web designer I can promise you those photos aren't my fantasy but of course I don't speak for all designers. I'm wondering if a lot of those stock photos aren't seen on template-style sites where a company's purchased the web template and just used the images that were included *shudder*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a person holding the globe, "giving you the world"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Varelse - Thinking Ain't Easy struck me as hi-larious for some reason
    May be you are bald too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding good photographs to compliment a design can be the hardest part of any job. It is very time consuming and can be extremely boring, filling throught hundreds, even thousands of pictures to find the right one. Add on top of that the price tag good quality photos have on them (rights managed) and it becomes obvious why these "cliche" photos are everywhere.

I consistently need to design websites for client who want the whole package for £500 (including hosting )

Design, built and host for £500! They dont even have a logo. My first stop is always iStockPhoto and here is where you will find almost every example we have in this post.

I think the truth of the matter is simple. The majority of sites online are not high budget, high profile sites. They are small brochure sites by companies spending a few hundred pounds per year max (less if they can get off with it). This brings with it reusable royalty free photos, used in mass. If something is used in mass it becomes cliche and before you know it your site looks outdated and run-of-the-mill.
    ASP.NET Freelance Web Developer
    Bored? Check out my photography folio at Flickr

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man, I feel so sorry for you!
    Woman, if you don't mind Yes, one of those that when looks an add say, "wish I could look like her!". But that particular picture, well, let's say that makes me feel a whole better with the way I look

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wullie
    Finding good photographs to compliment a design can be the hardest part of any job. It is very time consuming and can be extremely boring, filling throught hundreds, even thousands of pictures to find the right one. Add on top of that the price tag good quality photos have on them (rights managed) and it becomes obvious why these "cliche" photos are everywhere.

I consistently need to design websites for client who want the whole package for £500 (including hosting )

Design, built and host for £500! They dont even have a logo. My first stop is always iStockPhoto and here is where you will find almost every example we have in this post.

I think the truth of the matter is simple. The majority of sites online are not high budget, high profile sites. They are small brochure sites by companies spending a few hundred pounds per year max (less if they can get off with it). This brings with it reusable royalty free photos, used in mass. If something is used in mass it becomes cliche and before you know it your site looks outdated and run-of-the-mill.
    I agree with you totally. Sometimes you don't have the budget to get something unique - you're stuck with stock photos and while you try to avoid the cheesiest ones, in the end it's the client's decision.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Enthusiast troglodite's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Python2004
    Hehe, I also see this girl everywhere, I've seen her on about 5 sites in the last month and that's scary coming from one person's viewing record.

I think I've seen here in about 10 different hosting company sites too! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot to mention clouds And a quick question, how do most designers afford the prices of stock images which seem to start as a minimum of $50... When incorporating such images into templates they are selling worth $30 I just don't see how this can work. Any ideas please? This is a problem I've had for ages and have resorted to taking my own pictures which can obviously only be very limited... Thanks.,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clink
    You forgot to mention clouds And a quick question, how do most designers afford the prices of stock images which seem to start as a minimum of $50... When incorporating such images into templates they are selling worth $30 I just don't see how this can work. Any ideas please? This is a problem I've had for ages and have resorted to taking my own pictures which can obviously only be very limited... Thanks.,
    1. iStockPhoto is like $1 per download, and there are lots of free stock photo sites around.

2. Most stock photo sites don't allow you to use their photos in templates that you resell many times over. Check the stock photo site's terms of service to make sure you're not committing some serious violations, because it could be costly if it gets back to you.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of nice stock in Deviantart. Of course there's much more that's bad, so it takes time to find the nice ones.
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of times, nothing was even done to the image... cropped, color adjusted, sepia toned, etc.... just dropped in exactly like it came. Many of these stand out so much because they either look ridiculous to begin with, or nothing has been done to tie it into the site, either with a tagline that makes an out of place image suddenly in place and perhaps clever, or any other images that relate.

While we're at it, can we please put a stop to the shots from above, like I'm really a tiny person standing on your web page photos?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...php?id=1407682
    Identity Developments - SEO Focused Web Design
    It's not about websites, it's about your identity.

| Credit Card Apps |

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by i-devs
    While we're at it, can we please put a stop to the shots from above, like I'm really a tiny person standing on your web page photos?
    I hate Verizon for popularizing that a few years back (and many other reasons).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. iStockPhoto is like $1 per download, and there are lots of free stock photo sites around.

2. Most stock photo sites don't allow you to use their photos in templates that you resell many times over. Check the stock photo site's terms of service to make sure you're not committing some serious violations, because it could be costly if it gets back to you.
    Oh thats much cheaper than I thought. Do you know if IStockPhotos images are Ok for reselling as part of unique designs/templates though please? If not where would a designer purchase a cheap stock image to include in designs? Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh thats much cheaper than I thought. Do you know if IStockPhotos images are Ok for reselling as part of unique designs/templates though please?
    No they're not okay with template usage. You can use it for your web design projects though.

If not where would a designer purchase a cheap stock image to include in designs? Thanks.
    For templates you'll probably have to work out some sort of royalties deal with a photographer since you're in essence selling their work every time you sell yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For templates you'll probably have to work out some sort of royalties deal with a photographer since you're in essence selling their work every time you sell yours.
    Hmm. You can't tell me that every designer here at Sitepoint does that though. I wouldn't believe that 5% did.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clink - check the Bigstockphotos - they allow using their images in templates
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.bigstockphoto.com/usage.html
    Templates and redistribution of image files: This license allows you to incorporate images into your Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator or PowerPoint templates as needed, but they MUST be part of the .PSD, .PNG, .AI, .EPS or .PPT file itself - you may not supply the images as stand alone files outside of the .PSD, .PNG, .AI, .EPS or .PPT template file.
    It's a great resource for template designers
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm. You can't tell me that every designer here at Sitepoint does that though. I wouldn't believe that 5% did.
    If you're selling a unique (i.e. never going to be sold more than once) template you can use it, just like if you were building a site for someone and happened to use a stock photo. Where it gets sticky is when you build a template that's going to be sold many times.

We don't allow template sales here that aren't unique so stock photography isn't much of an issue in the marketplace, if that's what you were getting at.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's funny that you all poke fun at these images and you say AVOID! Let me be the first to say most of these are for CORPORATE AMERICA. These photos are great for them, if you are coming from some small company or perhaps you free lance and you don't do large scale design you may never use such photos. When an average browser logs on to a site they want these types of images with a simple layout. They don't want something that is over detailed they will get lost on your site and it will fail. I think the point of my post is to design the site for the client you’re catering to. So unless you can higher a photographer to go out and shoot your custom photos this is what we have to work with it. I love to see some of the designs you've created that you feel are so unique and better than everything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're selling a unique (i.e. never going to be sold more than once) template you can use it, just like if you were building a site for someone and happened to use a stock photo. Where it gets sticky is when you build a template that's going to be sold many times.

We don't allow template sales here that aren't unique so stock photography isn't much of an issue in the marketplace, if that's what you were getting at.
    Ah thanks. I only ever sell unique templates/designs.