SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main thing that I hate about PC's is that its not a good idea to turn off Virtual Memory - so MS says. TURN IT OFF!
    It makes everything much faster and get some ram too
    of the brethren of disco metal
    Disco metal tunes at www.wikid.co.uk

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Marek Bereza
    The main thing that I hate about PC's is that its not a good idea to turn off Virtual Memory - so MS says. TURN IT OFF!
    you've got to be kidding me.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Marek Bereza
    You must have a lot of RAM, sir.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by STEVENS
    Of course Windows is trying to gain more control over our user experience, but this is totally understandable. Imagine if you were Bill Gates- he is just a typical businessman trying to make a dollar. In my opinion I see nothing wrong with that. There is no conspiracy behind it all- its just business. Microsoft is going to try to dominate every market it can to make a bigger profit.
    This is quite possibly the most ignorant and stupid thing I've read on sitepoint so far. Microsoft is wrong since they maintain and nurture a so-called monopoly. They have over and over again used strong-arm tactics to destroy competition.

Since you are obviosly very ignorant of of free market economy, I'll try to explain it for you. Competition is neccessary for capitalism to be successful. If there is no competition, there is no need for low prices or quality, since the monopoly-company can sit tight with a crappy product, since they have no competion. In an ideal situation, a competitor steps up with a superior product with lower price, thus keeping the former monopoly-company on it's toes.

Monopoly in itself is not illegal, of course. However, it is indeed illegal to use ones monoply to develop another monopy in another market, such as microsoft has done with Internet Explorer. By integrating IE into windows, microsoft essentially put their product in the hands of computer users. Microsft makes the choice for the consumer. Do you see what is happening here? By exploiting their monopoly in the OS market, MS is picking their product for the consumer, when the consumer should be picking the best product, instead.

Due to this tactic, microsoft is today very close to a browser monopoly today. They are now using this, in combination with their OS monopoly, to get work themselves towards an "internet monopoly". Passport, MS messenger and hotmail is very close to integrated into windows XP. Smart tags directs traffic to MSN and MSN affiliates. More and more users have MS passport, forcing webmasters to use it, which in turn forces visitors to get one.

Today, the MSN is the second most popular site(s) on the internet, matched only by AOL. Since smart tags, MSN messenger, passport and other MS software directs even more traffic to MSN nowadays, I'm quite sure MSN will be number one very soon. Keep in mind that MSN is also an ISP, which is very convinient to sign up with in WinXP.

When MS have about 40% of all the internet traffic (which it quite bloody possible!) it may decide to integrate MS passport into Internet explorer (or MSN explorer as it is called nowadays - integrated with MSN) and make passport-enabled websites require IE to enter. By this time, that will be about.com, amazon.com, cnet and perhaps even yahoo. All browser competition crushed. Then MS can integrate MSN totally into IE and finally reverse the internet to what microsoft originally wanted:

The MSN.

And you see no problem with this? You are truly an idiot. Sorry for that rant everyone - I thank anyone who managed to read it to the end.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (truelight- Good points, but you don't need to insult people to make them.)

--------------------------------------

As for my opinion on XP:

Seer: "I think i'll just stick with Windows 2000. I don't like a lot of the features added in XP, I saw buttons to purchase, license and subscribe and I don't want an OS for that."

Renegade: "Good call. Before too long, all those people upgrading to XP are going to loose the purchase/license options, and will end up paying a monthly fee to use Windows..."

Yep, I'm staying with Win2k.

As far as "more control for MS?":

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201...ml?tag=rltdnws

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jimknee
    (truelight- Good points, but you don't need to insult people to make them.)

Well, looking at the post now, I see that it was a bit over the line. I guess I should stop posting at 5am when debugging.

Yep, I'm staying with Win2k.

As far as "more control for MS?":

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201...ml?tag=rltdnws
    I may also stay with w2k for a while - I like it. However, I belive I'll be forced to upgrade soon enough.

As for that article - it really scares me. I'm going to buy a mac for my next computer.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started a thread about ms passport here:

http://sitepointforums.com/showthrea...threadid=38845
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I may also stay with w2k for a while - I like it. However, I belive I'll be forced to upgrade soon enough."

True. Win2k will be outdated sooner or later. And I guess the two solutions are Linux or buying a Mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mac OS X is just too damn attractive.

I never found Linux to be any better than Windows as a desktop - but that is subject to change, linux is becomning more and more userfriendly every day.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by truelight
    linux is becomning more and more userfriendly every day.
    Good, as soon as it certain trivial tasks are, just that, trivial;then I will be moving to Linux as well.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Paul S

or just keep using 98SE (it's not a bad OS at all, I know it could be better)
    I just have to pop in here and say that win 98 se is the buggiest version of the 98 series made. besides 98 being bad in and of itself. Everytime I had a computer to repair or a system to build with 98se I begged and pleaded to go to something else. Sorry.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR
    Macs = way too proprietary = peices of junk
    Its funny and I said this over a decade ago. If Macintosh had been smart and removed the god awful need for proprietary parts (it used to be worse) Mac would have won the computer wars. D*&m those people at apple. I have always used a PC and thanx to the useless marketing team of past macs they lost and will always go downhill.

Oh and as for mac users reply of power pcs and I remember the compatible mac movement of the mid 90's....wayyyyy too little way tooo late.

Just my 2 cents worth on the hardware side of computers
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200...3.html?tag=hot

Here is a good one for you guys. This is why integration is bad. Basically, a seattle software enginner can send a specialy formed email to a hotmail account, and access that users personal finance information stored in the MS-wallet program. Part of the passport system.

crack email, get personal info. I don't like it one bit. This is where it is all leading ladies and gentlemen...

Bleck. One more reason NOT to go the way of MS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Renegade
    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200...3.html?tag=hot

Here is a good one for you guys. This is why integration is bad. Basically, a seattle software enginner can send a specialy formed email to a hotmail account, and access that users personal finance information stored in the MS-wallet program. Part of the passport system.

crack email, get personal info. I don't like it one bit. This is where it is all leading ladies and gentlemen...

Bleck. One more reason NOT to go the way of MS
    I would never give info like cc info to anyone not even microsoft. Users deserver to get hacked if they are truly that naive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Opinion about Micro$oft,
    As a user for multiple products (i.e. Windows 98/Se/ME, Various Games). I would say they do have a descent line-up, but they could have a great line-up if they would quit release buggy software. It seems like everytime they release a new item, a while later a "patch" has to be installed, then another, then another, and so on. Yes, they are money/power hungry, but I wish they would give us our money worth. Also, when they release better versions of their software, I would expect more of a "Impact". As for DOS? I have never been able to use it...I started out on 3.1. but I was 6 and the computer was not mine, so I have never had a chance to learn it. Another thing that gripes me is this new "activation". That is controlling in my eyes.
    That's all
    jmulder[THE MENTOR]'s nice guy online!
    Rig: AMD Athlon 800mhz; 384mb SDRam; 32mb nVidia @ 1024x768; ie 6; Windows ME; 15 gig; Cd-RW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Maelstrom
    Its funny and I said this over a decade ago. If Macintosh had been smart and removed the god awful need for proprietary parts (it used to be worse) Mac would have won the computer wars. D*&m those people at apple.
    Do you honestly think that it would be any different if Apple won the computer wars? I don't think so. Why would anyone with the oportunity Microsoft has now do any different if they had the same opportunity?

If Apple won, the only difference in our lives would be that this thread would be praising Microsoft (or IBM) and cursing Apple! (Oh, and we would not be so impressed with AppleXP's new improved look since we will have been introduced to high color icons many years ago.)

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the whole .netPassport and Big Brother Microsoft ordeal either, but to claim that the competition would have done any different is simply ridiculous.

Originally posted by sonique
    Yes, they are money/power hungry, but I wish they would give us our money worth.
    Give us our money worth?!? $100 for a product we use who knows how many hours a day, 365 days a year, is incredibly cheap. Do the math. If you keep your OS for three years, WindowsXP Upgrade will have cost you 100/(365*3) = 9 cents a day! How many things do you use that only cost you 9 cents a day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dominique
    [B]Do you honestly think that it would be any different if Apple won the computer wars? I don't think so. Why would anyone with the oportunity Microsoft has now do any different if they had the same opportunity?
    No I don't. But I read some people saying mac is better blah blah. This was simplay a statement stating that yes they are better but they were mismanaged. I think anyone in charge has that sense of power and I believe Bill Gates is truly invested in the furthering of technology. I just think a lot of people suffer from conspiracy theory.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the whole .netPassport and Big Brother Microsoft ordeal either, but to claim that the competition would have done any different is simply ridiculous.
    I didn't you misunderstood the reason for the statements in the first place. I agree with you. Anyone who owns the top spot in any industry wants to keep it and maintain it. Not just Bill Gates.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's important to say that Apple is not marketed to the average consumer for a reason. It is not, nor has it ever been, intended to be the workhorse that Microsoft has made the Windows platform. In reality Mac and PC's is a misplaced rivalry. There is no rivalry except in people's heads! MAc's are made for designers and printers (not the hardware!). That is why they are so versatile...in that ZONE! Microsoft Windows has always been designed to be an end-all-for-all OS for the everyday user...and yes the business user too. In reality, the rivalry is more accurate between Windows and Linux. First of all the hardware is shareable (for the most part), the software is relatively comparable and the purpose is relatively comparable. Mac v. Windows is like comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended). Unless you're a designer, you have no real use for a Mac.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true sketch. But macintosh has been having some serious money problems. I just think that if they had spread the wealth of their hardware and divied it up amongst some non propreitary hardware they would have done better. Its true that they didn't want the whole market but they did want a chunk and their expensive nature (due to a lack of non proprietary resources) made Mac a non option for almost anyone.

They even saw this and tried to release mac compatibles a few years back. I think if Mac had rethought there place a little bit they would have done much better. They are easier and more user friendly than any pc I know of.

I think you will find if you look back before the 90's apple/mac was trying to share the market. They didn't become the focused market group they are now until they realized they had lost with regular people.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respectfully, I disagree with your last statement, maelstrom. My uncle has been a graphics designer for 28 years and he has always preached the Mac gospel. We have discussed this many times and Mac ALWAYS targeted designers/printers. The only time that Apple really tried to share the market was really pre-Windows days when Apple had the Apple //c, e and plus on the market. They retired that line and went more pointed. My opinion.

sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably true. I realize in the early 80's (when I was using apples) That is my point of discussion. It was until the mid 80's when the apple line was merged when mac specified towards graphics designers. Then in the mid 90's they tried to revert back. My original point was simply I believe Mac had better development and more power (due to the type of processor and hardware they used) I just wish they had made it public hardware so mac compatibles would have existed. This would have made the better computer back then win.

I think they have een gotten rid of the whole mac compatible idea they had 5 or 6 years ago and again tried to purely focus towards the designer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I have a friend who is a graphics designer. He has an iMAC and a PC on his desk. He uses them both regularly. He says the PC is way and far beyond the MAC when it comes to graphics.

MACS and graphics superiority, according to him, is something of the past. It is no longer that way.

MACS also used to rule the schools, up until 1999 when Dell took over that lead. MACS aren't much good for anything these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be honest I wouldn't know about the new graphics. I am not a designer. I believe for video and multimedia macs are still better. Even some decent pricing.

haha I could tell without even looking you were from the states. For the most part canadian schools never had macs. Pc's only. PC's everywhere actually. MAc and amiga never really had a place up here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, it's funny how every Windows bashing thread never goes without at leat one post mentionning Macs in some way or another!

Originally posted by Maelstrom
    MAc and amiga never really had a place up here.
    I must have lived on the weird street. There was three of us in the same age group and we all had an Apple/Mac at some point, but I have to agree, I never saw them in schools or libraries and other public locations. Not even any of my other friends ever had a Mac.

Sketch, you're right, graphics designer's are Apple's main focus, and have always been. In fact I remember "we have supperior graphics" being a strong argument in the Mac camp for many years.

Maelstrom is also right. Apple did launch several initiatives to regain a part of the general consumer market. I don't remember all of them or the specifics (by the way, the iMac was one of them), but the latest is Apple's move to the retail market. They started opening stores in popular malls throughout the US. That definitely is not a move to sway more graphics designers into the Mac camp!

But then again, I'm not an Apple/Mac afficionado!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dominique
    [B]Hehe, it's funny how every Windows bashing thread never goes without at leat one post mentionning Macs in some way or another!

Thats goes without saying. Anytime bashing occurs in any direction people defend their choice. Classic examples pc vs mac, win vs linux, amiga vs pc vs mac (way back in the day), dos vs unix (the original war on ops). The discussions are always interesting because there are different view points. Unix is always supported by admis or people who like the raw power of total control over their computers(gods), Mac and amiga were always prefered by people who were multimedia inclined (due to a better processor mac was originally much better at rendering) and pcs were for those people who wanted both and didn't want to go broke buying a computer. They were also easier for hardware geeks (like myself) to play around with.

It makes for some interesting conversations. Same thing applys to arguments about languages php vs perl vs asp, or java vs c++. No one is ever right because they all work just some are better for certain things.

Well that was long winded