SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning asp/vb - a couple of questions

I've decided it's time to learn asp using vbscript, or asp.net using visual basic, since so many jobs require this as a server platform. Before I start I have a question or two.

Should I learn asp3 with vbscript, or asp.net with visual basic? (Yes, the latter will ultimately be necessary, but right now and in the near future will it be as useful as the former?)

What's the cheapest solution to obtaining all the necessary tools to experiment with and test some asp projects? Do I need asp web hosting or can it be done cheaper on my own computer (my own site is currently hosted on PHP/mysql and I don't intend to change this).

Thank you
    Richard Lord
    http://www.riclo.com

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest going with ASP right now, as ASP.NET is still to be finally released, and as for the server, if you have win9x you can install PWS, which is a totally cut down version of IIS, the server software that comes with winNT/2k.

If you have winNT/2K, you should install IIS. I'm not sure of any sites apart from http://msdn.microsoft.com that would have stuff, but no doubt, someone will post one.

As for trying it online, you can get cheap hosting, I use GnxOnline but bare in mind, you DO get what you pay for. There is also a free one called brinkster that offers free space, and isn't bad, AND they do support ASP.NET,so once you've learnt ASP, you can move onto .NET with VB.NET (not Visual Basic ) on the same free server.

Hope that helps, and remember, if you come across any problems, don't hesitate to post here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

D has answered most of your questions. CHeck Download.com for free ASP editors (you can use NotePad )

www.websamba.com is another free host that actualy gives you FTP facilties but they can be very slow and down somtimes.

Hope this helps
    .NET Code Monkey