SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question email html newsletter formatting question

I have created an html page with the image links to the hosting source, but when I paste the code into my email client new message and send it, it only displays the code and not the page design even though I have the receiving email set to view html code.

Am I missing something? Is there supposed to be some special code in the header for this to work? Where can I get good info how to create my own email html newsletters?

Any help would be appreaciated.

timmpy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but when you paste the code, you are pasting it in the source window of your email client, right? If the answer is yes, it should work as long as the image links are a full url.

IE. If you are using Outlook Express when you create a new message you have to go to View/Source Edit, then select the Source tab and paste there.

I hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be that your client is setup to compose HTML email as well. If that's the case, it could be writing the html code in a way as to prevent rendering because it's already doing the HTML. Might try doing plain text composing. However, the correct way is to do "multi-part" email. Could try literally attaching the html as a file to the email as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris and Adris72,

I'm still working on it. But no success yet. What is a "multi-part" email?

timmpy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an expert on this, but I know that a multipart email is a message coded in a way that it can display html for those email clients that support it and plain text for (the few) clients that don't support html (I frequently see this in newsletter software, they give you both options).
    Don't ask me how to do this... I just use outlook express for my email needs and that's all I know... ;-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you can paste HTML directly into Outlook Express, as it has a view source type of option. I used it once for a client who needed to send an HTML email blast and didn't have the time to develop a newsletter system.

Your best bet might be to use a PHP script to send the message, specifying HTML in the header.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't aware that you could send emails using php - how do you do that please ?

Any help appreciated.

Dez.