User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protecting from email blockage

My current hosting company allowed their servers to be used for spam. As a result AOL has blocked email from their servers. In the last few days I was unable to send email to FIVE different people because of this. This is the second time in a year that this has happened.

I'm trying to choose a new hosting company, so how do I pick a company where this $#!+ is unlikely to happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plnelson
    My current hosting company allowed their servers to be used for spam. As a result AOL has blocked email from their servers. In the last few days I was unable to send email to FIVE different people because of this. This is the second time in a year that this has happened.

I'm trying to choose a new hosting company, so how do I pick a company where this $#!+ is unlikely to happen?
    There are plenty companies but you must contact SUPPORT or WEBMASTER and get an assurance that this will not happen with them and go with them only after getting an authenticated assurance.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toniya
    There are plenty companies but you must contact SUPPORT or WEBMASTER and get an assurance that this will not happen with them and go with them only after getting an authenticated assurance.
    What on earth is an "authenticated assurance"?

I think spammers should hung up by their thumbs and flayed alive with rusty cheese slicers. So I don't begrudge the AOLs of the world for blacklisting entire hosting companies if spam came from them. But I cannot afford to be unable to send email to a major domain like AOL for weeks at a time. So I want a hosting company to be VERY aggressive about preventing their servers from being used for spamming.

It is certainly possible to put controls on SMTP (or other email) servers to limit the number of emails sent out in a given time, or to a given domain, or take other steps to prevent spammers from using their servers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plnelson
    What on earth is an "authenticated assurance"?
    Many hosting companies are not responding itself to clients instead support is offered by parent companies or third party companies. 'authenticated assurance' means you get a clear-cut and 100% assurance direct from the webmaster of your host that you will not face any type of hosting related problems, once you are registered.[quote]
    I think spammers should hung up by their thumbs and flayed alive with rusty cheese slicers. So I don't begrudge the AOLs of the world for blacklisting entire hosting companies if spam came from them. But I cannot afford to be unable to send email to a major domain like AOL for weeks at a time. So I want a hosting company to be VERY aggressive about preventing their servers from being used for spamming.[/quoye]There are many ways to stop SPAM. As far as I am concerned my clients have neither any problem with SPAM or SMTP/POP3
    It is certainly possible to put controls on SMTP (or other email) servers to limit the number of emails sent out in a given time, or to a given domain, or take other steps to prevent spammers from using their servers.
    I am sure my servers do not allow SPAM. I have my own 5 websites and my clients have never faced any problem with mail or SPAM so far.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    servers to limit the number of emails sent out in a given time
    Mos shared hosts actually have such limits in place, for that reason, and to not allow users to bog down the server. Of course, running a dedicated diminishes the risk if being an innocent victim.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Hosted like our own ... Uncensored's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tonyia is proposing is unrealistic. It's like asking a mayor to state in writing that once we elect you crime will stop. No mayor or host has this type of power. The best you can hope for are a host that is present and insistent on keeping their IP space from being blacklisted. Present in this sense means:

- they do not allow automated signups.

- they review each account they setup

- they are knowledgeable enough to recognize and investigate suspcious activity and/or requests. Eg: when customers request IP based hosting we want to know why? Many spammers know that registrars have and will shut down a domain known to be spamming. Thus they would rather avoid the expense of a domain and negate the registrar's ability to shut them down by using an IP based account. Some hosts dont know this is one of the tricks of the trade and will not question, investigate or monitor the same. Leaving their **** vulnerable to such acts. Then again many hosts especially the automated ones are never around to administer their network or server, hence the reason for automation. These same hosts are also never around when the SPAM complaints start pouring in and since nothing was done about them the server/network ends up being blocked.
    Ddos, DOS, Brute force, Password Trading & Proxy attack defense.
    MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! No price increase EVER!
    gus@photographybygus.com | sales@uncensored-hosting.com
    PbG Video, Graphic & Web Design | Uncensored-Hosting