SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Video Site

Hi everyone, I'm going to be starting a site that will host a lot of videos. I would tell you the idea but I dont want anyone to steal the idea. Anyway, what would you suggest I do? Buy a server and stick it in my room, buy a VPS, get shared hosting? I'm thinking shared hosting right now since it seems the cheapest and there doesnt seem to be that many advantages to dedicated servers and what not.

But where can I find a hosting plan that has a ton of bandwith (I'm thinking like 3TB)? And yeah, it probably wont be like that when the site opens but I think if I do this right it could probably reach that in a few months after its release. Thanks

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A video site oftenly gets more traffic and starts using lots of cpu load, as the site needs a lot of resources so I would suggest a VPS/semi-dedicated server instead of shared hosting and later on move on to dedicated server as the bandwidth requirement increases.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And would you suggest I just buy all this right now or wait until later when I've gotten money from ads (hopefuly) and what not. But I imagine it would be pretty hard moving all the videos.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start off maybe with one of dreamhost's plans. They offer lots of bandwidth. In my opinion I wouldn't move to a dedicated or VPS until you absolutely have to. They can be quite expensive.

Hosted like our own ... Uncensored's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually a video site need not be CPU intensive epsecially if the videos are merely being downloaded. We have video sites that push 2TB+ per month in bandwidth but never have a load in excess of 0.25. Streaming videos on the other hand are a different matter and not recommended. Nothing is more frustrating then waiting for a stream to rebuffer. Plus you can deliver much better data rates via a straight download and negate repeat downloads. Whcih saves you bandwidth.

Furthermore you do not want to buy a server and stick it in your room. Most ISP's prohibit using their connection as a server. Those that allow it charge a pretty penny. Moreover the server needs to be in a climate controlled enviroment, protected by Halon, redundant battery and generator sources.

It's much more cost effective to get a shared hosting account from a quality host with scalable plans. Then upgrade as needed only paying the difference between the two plans.
    Ddos, DOS, Brute force, Password Trading & Proxy attack defense.
    MONEY BACK GUARANTEE! No price increase EVER!
    gus@photographybygus.com | sales@uncensored-hosting.com
    PbG Video, Graphic & Web Design | Uncensored-Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have stated, if you are looking to actually push 3TB of bandwidth, you will need a dedicated solution.

I'd look into a host that offers great shared solutions to start, yet also has the option to move into a vps or dedicated package when the time comes, as it may be a little while until your site has those type of requirements.