SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picking a host: iPowerWeb any good?

I couldn't find any good review sites, but lots of places recommended iPowerWeb.

What I want is:

* I want to know who the MOST RELIABLE (uptime) hosts are.

* I want to know who has the best 24/7 telephone tech support.

* I want to only pick hosts that have been around for a while and are profitable so they are less likely to go out of business on me.

* I'm looking for a HIGHLY ETHICAL company that doesn't allow their servers to be used for spam or other $#!+ that gets them blocked. (my current hosting company is currently blocked from some email servers because they let someone using their servers send spam, so now their customers (including me) can't send email to some domains (e.g., aol.com). I'm rip$#!+ about this) ).

* I am NOT looking for the cheapest deal. I want premium quality by a large, well-established professionally-staffed company; not some guy running a rack of blades in his basement ever since he got laid off in the dot-com bust.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used them before, and do think they are a good host, but their support is horrible. Most of the support staff knows very little about the servers. They just know the basics that everyone else who is somewhat web-savvy...
    Maarten

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maartenvr
    I've used them before, and do think they are a good host, but their support is horrible. Most of the support staff knows very little about the servers. They just know the basics that everyone else who is somewhat web-savvy...
    OK, so looking at the criteria I listed at the top, who is good? Keep in mind that QUALITY (uptime, reliability, customer support, staying-in-business, etc) is what I want, and I'm LESS concerned about cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love hostgator. Their support is very fast and friendly. In the 2 years I have been there I have never had noticable outages (But I do not monitor it either) Prices are good, their reviews are good... I'd recommend them.
    Maarten

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll do fine with a lot of hosts.. Just make sure they have a money back guarantee. A few off the top of my head are dreamhost.com, hostgator.com, lunarpages.com, & bluehost.com.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure they have a money back guarantee.
    Whan you pay for a year in advance (like some of the hosts you listed almost require), the 30 days money back guarantee isn't that much of a protection.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny190
    You'll do fine with a lot of hosts.. Just make sure they have a money back guarantee. A few off the top of my head are dreamhost.com, hostgator.com, lunarpages.com, & bluehost.com.
    In researching these I notice that Hostgator, as prominent as they are does not meet conservative business criteria . . .

1. Has only been around for 4 years, which means they started after the dot-com-bust so they have no track record in a real high-tech business meltdown

2. They don't own their own servers - they lease space a server farm run by The Planet in Texas (Hostgator is in Florida).

3. They CLAIM to be profitable and debt-free but they are privately owned so there's no way to verify it, and anyway, if they lease or contract for their servers and services then they don't need no stinkin' debt for capital equipment expenses so it's not saying much.

The hosting company I'm using now is basically a "big" ( = lots of users) company with a hollow shell, a ton of interlocking contractors and holding companies. They are the opposite of transparent. They've been nothing but problems.

I don't understand what POSSIBLE value a money-back guarantee is! If your email or web serevers are down for a week how does that help?

How do I select a company that I have a REASON to be confident in?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Whan you pay for a year in advance (like some of the hosts you listed almost require), the 30 days money back guarantee isn't that much of a protection.
    Exactly. The hosting company I'm using now has their email blocked by some major domains (e.g., AOL) because they allowed their servers to be used for spam. So I can't send email to lots of people. So how exactly am I supposed to use a money-back guarantee to get my email out??

My previous hosting company went belly-up. How does a money-back guarantee help with that?

I normally try to make conservative money decisions. As an investor I screen for co's that have low P/E's, low debt, MANY YEARS of solid earnings growth, consistent divident growth, and a management team with a good track record. When I buy a car I check JD Power, Consumer Reports, state lemon law stat's, service bulletins, etc, AND I even check the financials of the manufacturer because I keep my cars for 10 years and want to make sure the manufacturer will be around.

Most of the web hosts out there seem to be either some old guy who got laid off during the dot-com-bust running a rack of blades in his laundry room, or some interlocking set of opaque holding companies who don't actually OWN anything and have no accountability or responsibility.

Once I was a Factory Worker goofy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked out www.mediatemple.net. I've been using them for over a year now and they are by far the best hosting service I've used yet. I've also heard of another really good hosting company www.1and1.com but I've never used them myself.
    Goofy
    Life is what you make it!
    Follow your dreams!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plnelson
    * I want to know who the MOST RELIABLE (uptime) hosts are.
    * I want to know who has the best 24/7 telephone tech support.
    *profitable so they are less likely to go out of business on me.
    * I'm looking for a HIGHLY ETHICAL company that doesn't allow their servers to be used for spam or other $#!+ that gets them blocked. (my current hosting company is currently blocked from some email servers because they let someone using their servers send spam, so now their customers (including me) can't send email to some domains (e.g., aol.com). I'm rip$#!+ about this) ).
    * I am NOT looking for the cheapest deal. I want premium quality by a large, well-established professionally-staffed company; not some guy running a rack of blades in his basement ever since he got laid off in the dot-com bust.
    People/companies may assure you all of these features but may not fulfill the terms and conditions, even the big name companies. This is just trial and error system - go for one company, if it is not suitable then to another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toniya
    People/companies may assure you all of these features but may not fulfill the terms and conditions, even the big name companies. This is just trial and error system - go for one company, if it is not suitable then to another.
    Yeah thats a good lesson!
    I've used a few and I found Aplus.net to be the best for me.
    Customer Service and reliability has been awesome. 24/7 Phone
    tech support, Live Chat that Ive used several times, 24/7 email
    support. They are pretty quick, Ive had no complaints at all.
    I've used them for 3 or 4 years.

http://hosting.aplus.net/unixhosting.html
    I use the Solo XR plan (CNet gives it a good review).
    12GB Storage 500GB Upload, which I doubt Ill ever be able to even use.
    They just upgraded.

Two people I know that used 1and1.com lost their domain names to
    some madrooster company during a free trial.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then again, there can be more to a company than just its service. Sadly enough, if one does a bit of research, one can find some not so nice things about Aplus's marketing techniques.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we used iPowerweb but we had spam problems with them (our e-mails were marked as spam for many recipients). We are still using iPowerweb for one of our domains and sometimes we have SMTP problems (just cannot send e-mails). Don't suggest if you need reliable service. Aplus.net is better.
    Avactis Shopping Cart & CMS - Easy integration into existing
    site design. Ecommerce Hosting with Free support.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lostseed
    I've used them for 3 or 4 years.
    Good for you! You are one of the very very few people I know that actually host with aplus (most left), let alone like them. I've found Aplus to be a pain, I use them as a domain registrar but that's it.

They just cold-called me yesterday, I don't even know how they got my private cell number. I use my regular phone for the entire company...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Yeah but what do you expect really... They're giving you hosting for something like $95 for the year. If they offered more than 30 days people might be tempted to abuse their servers during that period and then cancel after that. 30 days is very generous in my opinion. Just make sure you site is ready to upload from day 1!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In researching these I notice that Hostgator, as prominent as they are does not meet conservative business criteria . . .

1. Has only been around for 4 years, which means they started after the dot-com-bust so they have no track record in a real high-tech business meltdown

2. They don't own their own servers - they lease space a server farm run by The Planet in Texas (Hostgator is in Florida).

3. They CLAIM to be profitable and debt-free but they are privately owned so there's no way to verify it, and anyway, if they lease or contract for their servers and services then they don't need no stinkin' debt for capital equipment expenses so it's not saying much.

The hosting company I'm using now is basically a "big" ( = lots of users) company with a hollow shell, a ton of interlocking contractors and holding companies. They are the opposite of transparent. They've been nothing but problems.

I don't understand what POSSIBLE value a money-back guarantee is! If your email or web serevers are down for a week how does that help?

How do I select a company that I have a REASON to be confident in?

Just to address your key points, as you're dismissing a great host like hostgator over some pretty minute details:

1: 4 years in web hosting is quite a long time. The large majority of web hosting companies have been around for a much shorter timeframe. As you can see from their 4 years of reviews and extremely large customer base, they are a great company with great support.

2: Not many hosts own their own datacenter. The Planet is a top notch datacenter and from personal experience and reviews from many clients here, across webhostingtalk, etc. you can see that their servers perform quite well (referring to HG's).

3: There is a very select few web hosting companies that are publicly traded companies. Dismissing a host for this reason narrows your field greatly, and as stated above, you're going to miss out on a large number of great hosting companies.

A money back guarantee is really all a host can realistically offer its clients. They're not in the insurance business, that's what you purchase business insurance for. They will refund you your money if you are unhappy. The whole point of doing the research and reading reviews is to help weed out hosts with terrible support, uptime problems, etc. Many of these hosts will offer you a prorated refund, refunding your remaining amount left on your contract (when on a yearly package). Simply ask them about their refund policy.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorH
    Just to address your key points, as you're dismissing a great host like hostgator over some pretty minute details:
    It turns out I can't use Hostgator anyway because they don't support .NET.

3: There is a very select few web hosting companies that are publicly traded companies. Dismissing a host for this reason narrows your field greatly, and as stated above, you're going to miss out on a large number of great hosting companies.
    That MAY be true but I have no way to TELL if they're great. Hostgator seems to have generally more positive reviews than bad ones, but that's just a gut impression that I can't prove, and anyway there are still plenty of unhappy customers. There is no large, systematic customer-reviews site similar to TripAdvisor for hotels that allows me to compare large numbers of reviews for any one host. You can Google for comments and try to develop a gestalt but that's in no way systematic.

A money back guarantee is really all a host can realistically offer its clients.
    I just don't see how a money-back guarantee helps. I've probably spent 15 hours so far researching hosting companies. At my salary that's YEARS and YEARS worth of shared-hosting costs. So money-back can't BEGIN to compensate me for the time I'll have to spend if I have to do this all over again! So I want to get it right the FIRST time!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turns out I can't use Hostgator anyway because they don't support .NET.

That MAY be true but I have no way to TELL if they're great. Hostgator seems to have generally more positive reviews than bad ones, but that's just a gut impression that I can't prove, and anyway there are still plenty of unhappy customers. There is no large, systematic customer-reviews site similar to TripAdvisor for hotels that allows me to compare large numbers of reviews for any one host. You can Google for comments and try to develop a gestalt but that's in no way systematic.

I just don't see how a money-back guarantee helps. I've probably spent 15 hours so far researching hosting companies. At my salary that's YEARS and YEARS worth of shared-hosting costs. So money-back can't BEGIN to compensate me for the time I'll have to spend if I have to do this all over again! So I want to get it right the FIRST time!
    How big is your web site in MB?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking for a host for multiple web design clients or for a single company? If its the latter, we've used hostway (www.hostway.com) for many years without a complaint. If you're looking for a host for multiple web design clients, there is some background about Rackspace's new company Mosso (www.mosso.com) at WebHostingTalk. Apparently it is set up just for web designers & developers.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hostgator seems to have generally more positive reviews than bad ones, but that's just a gut impression that I can't prove, and anyway there are still plenty of unhappy customers. There is no large, systematic customer-reviews site similar to TripAdvisor for hotels that allows me to compare large numbers of reviews for any one host. You can Google for comments and try to develop a gestalt but that's in no way systematic.
    Well, there's no perfect host and no perfect
    customer. Anuway, I wish you luck in finding
    the host that you're looking for.
    I've been using www.HostGator.com
    for 38 months... and it's been awesome.

Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny190
    How big is your web site in MB?
    Tiny. A few hundred MB. A few 10's of Gigs of bandwidth. It's just personal art-and-photo website plus a few email aliases. But that's not the point . . .

I don't make a lot of phone calls either. My (landline) telephone is Verizon in Massachusetts. I have NEVER not had a dialtone. I have NEVER had a billing problem. I have NEVER been unable to call some area code because service was blocked. I have NEVER had a minute's worry that they were going out of business and about to leave me high-and-dry with no telephone service.

I'm looking for a webhost that can give similar confidence and peace-of-mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tiny. A few hundred MB. A few 10's of Gigs of bandwidth. It's just personal art-and-photo website plus a few email aliases.
    It is no problem to provide.
    But that's not the point . . .

I don't make a lot of phone calls either. My (landline) telephone is Verizon in Massachusetts. I have NEVER not had a dialtone. I have NEVER had a billing problem. I have NEVER been unable to call some area code because service was blocked. I have NEVER had a minute's worry that they were going out of business and about to leave me high-and-dry with no telephone service.
    What about if you don't need to make phone call at all? If everything is so perfect that support is not required at all?
    I'm looking for a webhost that can give similar confidence and peace-of-mind.
    This can be offered and assured.