SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Scripting X's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power supplys and performance etc...

Hi everyone! you probably read my post a bit beofre with the title 'Is this a good comp', well I just wanted to know what the major disadvantages are of only having a 250 WATT power supply as opposed to a 300 WATT or something...? remember, I am using a DVD-Drive, 1.4 Athlon, GeForce3, CD-RW, Zip Drive, Floppy Disk drive, Sound card etc (all demanding, well the floppy isn't :P).

Cheers, Chris.
    cgi://www.scriptingx.com - Everything CGI

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i read your post and posted there first but here goes anyway:

1) u run the risk of lockups due to insufficient power
    2) if you add more peripherals which feed off your PSU then u may find that your system lockups or even refuses to post
    3) u may be overly taxing your 250W PSU, causing it to have a shorter lifespan

however, a lower PSU doesn't cause your PC to have a shorter lifespan, nor does it affect your processing speed/gaming performance, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice here.. I just started building my newest one, starting off with an Antec File Server case, 350 Watts. I'll have probably three hard drives in it, two video cards and 2 cd-rom drives. I'm planning on putting a 1.4ghz Athlon in it. Hope that does the trick.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the specs of the system you mentioned, you will be pushing a 250w PSU quite hard. If you can go to a 300 or even 350w PSU then you can upgrade to your hearts content without worrying about power problems.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!