SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Review Sites?

I want a new web host but there are ZILLIONS to choose from.

I'm looking for a good REVIEW site for web hosts. I travel a lot and I use TripAdvisor.com to read reviews of hotels. They get lots of traffic so they have lots of reviews, they score them numerically so you can sort them and they have no vested interest in what you say.

Is there any good, comprehensive, sortable/scorable review site like that for web hosts?

Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not consider a "good" review site for webhosts one that has a lot of features, although that may be the case for some, but even moreso, finding an honest review site is important since there are quite a few review sites that just use affilliate links and show the hosts that pay the most first (thus the review site makes quite a bit of money if they do get popular, but do not really show hosts worthy of such rave reviews).

I do know of http://www.whreviews.com/ that is honest, so you may want to check that out

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kgh
    I do know of http://www.whreviews.com/ that is honest, so you may want to check that out
    I went there but I could NOT figure out how to use it! I didn't see any place where web hosts are ranked by customers.
    • I want to know who the MOST RELIABLE (uptime) hosts are.

• I want to know who has the best 24/7 telephone tech support.

• I want to only pick hosts that have been around for a while and are profitable so they are less likely to go out of business on me.

• I'm looking for a HIGHLY ETHICAL company that doesn't allow their servers to be used for spam or other $#!+ that gets them blocked. (my current hosting company is currently blocked from some email servers because they let someone using their servers send spam, so now their customers (including me) can't send email to some domains (e.g., aol.com). I'm rip$#!+ about this) ).

• I am NOT looking for the cheapest deal. I want premium quality by a large, well-established professionally-staffed company; not some guy running a rack of blades in his basement ever since he got laid off in the dot-com bust.

So where can I find a good, high-traffic web host review site to help me in my search?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plnelson
    I want a new web host but there are ZILLIONS to choose from.

I'm looking for a good REVIEW site for web hosts.
    There are many review sites; but most of them are reviewing sites without checking them properly and contacting the site admin staff. They are not accepting even the clarifications offered by the webmasters. Most of the time reviews are done by non-qualified persons without having the experience with particular webhost. Personally, I checked many reviews and concluded not to rely on them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello when trying to choose a good hosting
    If the service you have in mind really wants
    to have you as a client they will let you test
    there service before you buy.

We have a trial going on right now for anyone thats
    intrested in our service. And when your trial is over
    and you like what we provide all you have to do is make your
    payment for what ever account you have signup for...No strings
    Serverextreme Hosting
    http://serverextremehosting.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serverextreme
    . . .
    We have a trial going on right now for anyone thats
    intrested in our service.
    . . .
    I think it's apparent that I'm not going to get a real answer to my question here.

Part of the problem is that there are so #$%^*! MANY hosting companies out there!! Many of them are tiny fly-by-night affairs by some old guy who got laid off in the dot-com-crash, who runs it out of his spare bathroom. Others are pure holding companies that contract or sublease for everything from servers to support, and which are hidden under layers of other corporate identities (my current hosting company shares an address and phone number with four other internet-related companies!) . And almost all them are privately-owned so you can't check their financials. So it's impossible to get a critical mass of decent customer reviews.

Anyone with any business acumen knows that web-hosting is an industry desperately in need of a shakeout. Mature industries typically have a few large, well established players plus a few niche players addressing specialized markets. Probably in 10 years 90% of today's web hosts won''t even exist. The trick is to guess who the survivors will be. But I'm obviously not going to get any insights about that here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • I want to know who the MOST RELIABLE (uptime) hosts are.

• I 24/7 telephone tech support.

• I want to only pick hosts that have been around for a while.

• I'm looking for a HIGHLY ETHICAL company that doesn't allow their servers to be used for spam

I am NOT looking for the cheapest deal. So where can I find a good, high-traffic web host review site to help me in my search?
    I can say from my personal experience that www.aplus.net will be a good solution for the listed requirements. We have been using aplus for about 2 years. Earlier we used iPowerweb but we had spam problems with them (our e-mails were marked as spam for many recipients). There is a site http://www.webhostingtoplist.com (Web Hosting Reviews by Customers). But I found only positive reviews there... So, I don't trust it.
    Avactis Shopping Cart & CMS - Easy integration into existing
    site design. Ecommerce Hosting with Free support.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avactis
    I can say from my personal experience that www.aplus.net will be a good solution for the listed requirements.
    I've seen some real horror stories about aplus on the web - overcharging credit cards, locking accounts, etc. They don't sound like a good outfit to me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some real horror stories about aplus on the web - overcharging credit cards, locking accounts, etc. They don't sound like a good outfit to me.
    Hello Plnelson, How are you? tell me what service
    are you looking for and I am sure I can help,
    What are you looking to pay each month
    and what kind of space you need.

If you would like to look our reseller plans over please
    do so I am sure you will find our prices very affordable.
    http://serverextremehosting.com/Reseller.html
    Serverextreme Hosting
    http://serverextremehosting.com