SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How did you get your traffic?

This question is for all of you high earners out there that started out with little or no traffic and built your web site into a high traffic powerhouse. What marketing techniques did you use to gain traffic and which ones worked the best? Which ones did you try and have little success with? I am very interested to see these answers...

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Through page optimization and site submission.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AdWords, Overture, 7Search, Searchfeed.

95% paid, 5% organic for sale and lead generation.

100% organic for CPM/CPC ad supported sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone managed to achieve good traffic, maybe 500 uniques/day without utilizing ppc/cpc type programs?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet21
    Has anyone managed to achieve good traffic, maybe 500 uniques/day without utilizing ppc/cpc type programs?
    At least several thousand people have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    At least several thousand people have.
    Good to know, since ppc/cpc is just not in my budget right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i managed to get 250 a day with no cpc
    TaxForum.us Have questions about US tax law?
    SoccerLinks.org - submit your soccer link free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to get 7k uniques a day with no cpc. I just offer qualty content on a mysoace related website. I told a few people about it and the site just grew from there. Since then I've put a lot of money into advertising just to increase the traffic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yer i get around 600 unique visits a day without any paid promotion

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get around 2500/day, with no advertising, just do link exchanges and some other stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you guys are such an inspiration!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a high trafficked site that's related to yours to exchange links with. I'd start right there. Make it a goal to add 1 quality link a week (at minimum), and you should see quality traffic grow in time. Paid-for traffic sounds nice, but you better offer something they keep going back for, otherwise, that money is spent and gone, without doing much for your bottom line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is exactly what I was thinking. Always start off with the link exchanges, that way you AT LEAST get registered on the search engines. Then it is onto SEO and advertising if needed. Dan Grossman seems to use a different method as he did not mention anything about swapping links or SEO. Many different ways to go about it, I guess it all depends on how much money you have to invest in the first place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of link swapping or SEO in general, and neither are the search engines, when it comes down to it, but they aren't yet smart enough to write algorithms that can't be manipulated. So if you want the search traffic sooner than later, you need to build links and optimize sites.

In my ideal world, webmasters would act as if SEO didn't exist. They'd link to sites in blog posts or articles as part of the natural text, because they really wanted to make mention of the site as a recommendation or comment for their readers. Nobody would make "links" pages unless they truly wanted to recommend a set of sites to their visitors as adding true value to the web.

The sites I run that don't sell anything get their traffic from one-way inbound links, placed over the last 10 years by people that found a webpage or tool useful and chose to link to it on their own, without anything in return. These one-way links have helped some of my sites gain good search engine positions for real, relevant searches that bring in visitors looking for what I actually have to offer, as opposed to some skewed version of what I wish I had to offer and want to "target" with an SEO campaign.

I only hope that one day the search algorithms will be smart enough to filter out the rubbish 'exchanges' made for SEO purposes that don't add any value to either site involved. Until that day, I will occasionally 'exchange' links with sites related to my own, but I sure wish I didn't have to, and I'll never spend significant time on it.

SitePoint Member Trinity_iNetMone's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me how::)

Quote Originally Posted by mastersite
    yer i get around 600 unique visits a day without any paid promotion
    Greetings,

can you tell me how?

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet21

I get around 7000-8000 uniques a day now (and increasing every week) with no advertising. I only advertised the site for the first month (through adwords). After that it spread via word of mouth and link exchanges. Definitely try to get link exchanges with high-traffic sites in your category whenever possible- it's a huge help. But if you email a big site owner with a link exchange request, make sure to be personable and don't make your request sound as though you've sent it to tons of people.
    My top 3: TheSkinnyWebsite, ChickLitbooks,TheSkinnyForum

Six-figure bloggin' since 2006.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only hope that one day the search algorithms will be smart enough to filter out the rubbish 'exchanges' made for SEO purposes that don't add any value to either site involved. Until that day, I will occasionally 'exchange' links with sites related to my own, but I sure wish I didn't have to, and I'll never spend significant time on it.
    I don't spend a lot of time on link exchanges, but I do have a links page on my site. I am proud of my links page in that I have personally visited each site and they are all related to my site content. I feel that my directory does benefit my site visitors and I also receive quite a few visitors each day from these exchanges. One site has sent my over 60 uniques so far this month!

I agree with you in that sites that add on a link directory and include just about anyone who wants to be included purely for seo purposes is annoying. I think that google is getting smart to these kind of exchanges as discussed here http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/indexing-timeline/.

However, mutual exchanges with related sites are still beneficial in my opinion.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of link swapping or SEO in general, and neither are the search engines, when it comes down to it, but they aren't yet smart enough to write algorithms that can't be manipulated. So if you want the search traffic sooner than later, you need to build links and optimize sites.

In my ideal world, webmasters would act as if SEO didn't exist. They'd link to sites in blog posts or articles as part of the natural text, because they really wanted to make mention of the site as a recommendation or comment for their readers. Nobody would make "links" pages unless they truly wanted to recommend a set of sites to their visitors as adding true value to the web.

The sites I run that don't sell anything get their traffic from one-way inbound links, placed over the last 10 years by people that found a webpage or tool useful and chose to link to it on their own, without anything in return. These one-way links have helped some of my sites gain good search engine positions for real, relevant searches that bring in visitors looking for what I actually have to offer, as opposed to some skewed version of what I wish I had to offer and want to "target" with an SEO campaign.

I only wish I had audio right now so that you could hear me applaud! Great post, Dan!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Evangelist sitedesigner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word of mouth is a good one for me.
    MySpace promotion, text links, google adwords, and here at sitepoint
    █ [o] Programmer? PM me!
    █ [o] Getting back into the Business
    █ [o] Sitedesigner

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Building a good article is also effective. I have an article that was posted at another forum related to my site and i got over 1000 unique links from their visitors. It really depends how you want to build your traffic.

eXtremE StorMeR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i never paid to get traffic quality site lead ur traffic

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way is to run massive web-sites. Although that may be expensive if you're not in the right area. I used to run a DMOZ mirror and "DevCenter" which was a mass of drivers, sdks, compilers, source code etc.

When the drive crashed and I lost those sites, I forwarded the traffic to my new site which instantly resulted in over a thousand unique hits a day. And, since the old sites had been around a few years, Google had indexed them for a large number of searches so now all those searches ended up at the new site.

Google instantly placed the new site in the top 10 but a few weeks later dropped it from the rankings. So in the mean time I'm working on cross linking to build link popularity to get it back at the top.

My new massive site is a wikipedia mirror. And since it's attached to my main site that's been around for six years, Google hasn't hesitated to start indexing it. That's really been the key. Build at least one popular site and use it's popularity to boost your other sites.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Massive sites" that are just duplicates of others' content (wikipedia, dmoz, usenet, etc) will get good search traffic for a month or two before they get a duplicate content penalty, then the traffic drops off, permanently.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually the DMOZ mirror started off slow but then the site was harvested by spammers. I was getting referals from hundreds of spam sites. Then all of a sudden the spam site referals went away and I was getting hundreds of visitors from Google searches.

The spammers came in August 05. Google took over in September 05. My hits went up pretty fast since then and until the Great Crash of April 06 I was getting more and more visitors.

My wikipedia mirror is pretty much identical since I used mediawiki to import all the data. I just need to spend the time digging through the media wiki code to figure out how it renders the articles and then make my own layout.

I don't think I'll have any trouble with it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content = Traffic

The best way to absolutely pump your site with continual content AND traffic is to get your users to do it for you.

And you can even do this without having a "MySpace" script, a forum or whatever.

It works time and time again...

Build an opt-in list, make them like you, give them tools to link to you, have them submit content, recruit some affiliates and essentially, build your own army of marketers and "authors".

And if you REALLY want to explode your traffic levels, be controversial.

There's a reason why maddox.xmission.com ("The Best Page in the Universe") is so popular.

Give people something to talk about, associate it with your site, and you will blow the doors off of your traffic levels.

And revenues.

(This strategy never fails)

Sincerely,

Chris Rempel