SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Rails] Can't get set up on windows, now desperate!

I've got ruby 1.8.4, fastcgi, apache 2. Everything was installed by the book - no apache tuning options or anything just a stock install. With webrick, things seem to run fine but after a few clicks it will always crash with the following error:

Code:
    http://localhost:3000/articles/new -> /articles/create
    127.0.0.1 - - [21/May/2006:15:26:58 GMT Daylight Time] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 652
    http://localhost:3000/articles/new -> /
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:52: [BUG] Segmentation fault
    ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.
    This happens sporadically, and the place where it crashes is never the same.

I've checked the obvious problems, the shebang line is set up correctly, ruby fcgi bindings are installed as well as the ruby mysql module.

Similar symptoms then occur in apache+fastcgi, it seems to work for a few clicks and will then crash with the following errors:

application server.log:

Code:
    [Sun May 21 15:33:21 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (OS 109)The pipe has been ended.  : FastCGI: comm with server "C:/dev/tfm/public/dispatch.fcgi" aborted: GetOverlappedResult() failed, referer: http://tfm/
    [Sun May 21 15:33:21 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "C:/dev/tfm/public/dispatch.fcgi"
    application fastcgi.crash.log:

Code:
    [21/May/2006:15:33:24 :: 2504] Ignoring unsupported signal USR1.
    [21/May/2006:15:33:24 :: 2504] Ignoring unsupported signal USR2.
    [21/May/2006:15:33:24 :: 2504] Ignoring unsupported signal HUP.
    [21/May/2006:15:33:24 :: 2504] Ignoring unsupported signal SIGTRAP.
    [21/May/2006:15:33:24 :: 2504] starting
    apache error.log:

Code:
    [Sun May 21 15:29:13 2006] [warn] FastCGI: (dynamic) server "C:/dev/tfm/public/dispatch.fcgi" (pid 3212) termination signaled
    [Sun May 21 15:29:13 2006] [warn] FastCGI: (dynamic) server "C:/dev/tfm/public/dispatch.fcgi" (pid 3212) terminated with exit with status '0'
    [Sun May 21 15:33:21 2006] [warn] FastCGI: (dynamic) server "C:/dev/tfm/public/dispatch.fcgi" (pid 3552) terminated with exit with status '3'
    [Sun May 21 15:33:21 2006] [warn] FastCGI: (dynamic) server "C:/dev/tfm/public/dispatch.fcgi" restarted (pid 2504)
    This is driving me nuts as it's immensely difficult to debug and there is very little literature detailing these kinds of problems. I've now spent almost 5 days trying to get windows work with rails so any help would be massively appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carologees
    I've got ruby 1.8.4, fastcgi, apache 2. Everything was installed by the book - no apache tuning options or anything just a stock install. With webrick, things seem to run fine but after a few clicks it will always crash with the following error:
    Just a note that you don't need fastcgi or apache2 to run webrick.

My guess is that there's something wrong with your Ruby binaries, Segmentation faults are not your run of the mill problems setting up Rails. Where did you get the binary from? Did you compile it yourself?

You could give Instant Rails a try, and see if that works for you: http://rubyforge.org/projects/instantrails/

Douglas
    Hello World

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I thought Doug, I haven't compiled anything from source though. I've got ruby 1.8.4 standard windows installer, installed latest rails using gems and ruby for apache windows installer.

I may try reinstalling everything as a last resort, but it could be an os issue. Whatever it is, it's rare because there is nothing on google about this at all and certainly not on any rails related sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you run other large Ruby scripts?

How about trying to get Instiki http://rubyforge.org/projects/instiki/ working?

Douglas
    Hello World

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a google search on your error and although there was nothing specific to rails or ruby available, other apps have caused the same message to appear. Most of the time it appeared to be a microsoft DLL issue, so maybe you should try windows update to see if there are any updates...
    Happy switcher to OS X running on a MacBook Pro.

Zend Certified Engineer

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does seem likely to be an OS issue now, one detail I forgot to mention is that I was getting the same error on Ruby 1.8.2 which was the reason I upgraded to 1.8.4, so that makes it unlikely it's a Ruby problem. Line 52 of timeout.rb is doing something with threading as well so that would suggest it's an OS issue.

I'm going to update to service pack 2 and try instant rails, will report back on how it went.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed SP2 for xp, uninstalled everything and went with instant rails and it seems to work now. (touch wood)

No idea what was causing that. I notice instant rails uses scgi, is that similar to fcgi and better/worse? Also, is there anyway to prevent the ruby process appearing in the taskbar on windows, it's a bit obtrusive to me.