Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruby-editors

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruby-editors

Which editor are you using to program in Ruby? And which are you using for Rails? Do you like it, if so, what do you like most? What do you dislike?

I used ConTEXT + Ruby highlight, Notepad2 + Ruby highlight, Eclipse with RDT, RadRails, and I'm now using emacs + ruby-mode. I'm pretty happy with it, but it is really hard to learn (doesn't use the mouse at all). I found RadRails/Eclipse to be slow, but it's code overview/class browser is good. Notepad2 and ConTEXT arent Ruby aware besides highlighting.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TextMate + syncPeople Rails Bundle. (OS X)

On windows I just used plane old editpad lite just for the tabs. I never took advantage of any of the more advanced features.
    Happy switcher to OS X running on a MacBook Pro.

Zend Certified Engineer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    jEdit + superAbbrevs plugin + these snippets. Not the fastest program in the world but it gets the job done and the abbreviations save me time

I don't have a Mac (yet) so I can't use TextMate, and its developer is pretty zealous about not making a Windows version

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Textmate. When I did Rails stuff on Windows I liked jEdit with the Ruby plugin - it was the closest I could find to Textmate but it was a bit slow. RadRails was too buggy for my liking. Fortunately, since I got my MacBook Pro I don't need to develop on Windows anymore!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like vgarcia, I use Jedit to edit my Ruby files. I had a play with other editors, including Eclipse with plugins, but found I was happiest with Jedit.

I work in a Windows environment and have found TextPad to be just right for editing the rhtml and yml files. It only needed a little tweaking to see rhtml as an HTML type file.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll check jEdit out, thanks! No mac for me (yet) unfortunately (so no textmate). Does jEdit handle rhtml too?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really want something like textmate for windows

For now I'm using scite, but its highlighting isn't that brilliant. Wonder if anyone has any styling for scite which is similar to textmate? (Black with white typeface)

I've used jedit before and it's a bit too sluggish, Dreamweaver 8 which I use for php apparently can be configured for ruby+rails so I may look into that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2
    I'll check jEdit out, thanks! No mac for me (yet) unfortunately (so no textmate). Does jEdit handle rhtml too?
    Yes, with syntax highlighting and even some markup help (i.e. hit </ and it will close the closest open tag for you).

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!

I've also come across this:

http://lathi.net/twiki-bin/view/Main/EmacsAndRuby

"Transforms" emacs into TextMate (works on windows!).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds interesting fenrir, doesnt sound like its very good for rhtml though

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Textmate is cool but most of the time I'm on Windows and jEdit does what I need. I have to say that I rarely use Ruby for the moment! I really think that Textmate is better than jEdit for Ruby but you need a mac for that!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started really getting into Rails development, and after watching several screencasts where everyone used TextEdit I just went out and bought myself a MacBook Pro. Now I have TextEdit and Mac OS X but I can reboot into Windows XP too. I have a few PHP editors on Windows I realy like and I have some Windows-only apps I have to keep running.

TextMate is awesome though... it's so simplistic but it's so functional. I love how it doesn't get in the way. No buttons or menus, just type the code.

If you've got a Mac, definitely check out TextMate. On Windows I used the free RadRails - http://www.radrails.org/. Pretty good editor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2
    I'm now using emacs + ruby-mode. I'm pretty happy with it, but it is really hard to learn (doesn't use the mouse at all).
    These binaries support the mouse on Windows: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/

That's what I'm running now, with ruby-mode.

There's also a version specificaly patched to be more Windows-like here: http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32Util.html (though I've not tried this one, I just added cua-mode to the emacs I downloaded from above)

It supports things like xcv cut-copy-paste keys using cua-mode: http://www.cua.dk/

But TextMate is the best

hth,
    Douglas
    Hello World

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find, how do you get ruby mode on? Also not too sure how to set up the configs at
    http://lathi.net/twiki-bin/view/Main/EmacsAndRuby

Edit:

Ahhh! How can anyone use emacs, when you highlight a chunk of code and press backspace it doesnt delete!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DouglBTX, my version supports the mouse too, but it's faster to use, say C-x o if you want to go to the other window, but it is hard to learn all the keys (but I'm trying!).

Thanks for the windows version, I think it's easier to use with CUA mode. I'm going to try it out in a minute. Can you still use the other keys that use C-x .., or do you have to disable CUA mode?

Bob, you have to download ruby-mode first, then put it in your site-lisp directory, and put load it in your .emacs file (instructions on how to do this are usually in the package, ruby-mode.el in this case). Do the same thing for ruby-conf.el (bottom of the page).

You have to use delete to delete selected text, but it is easier to use Ctrl + space to set mark (start of selection) and move the cursor to another location, and press Ctrl+w (kill-region) to delete text.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C-x in CUA mode is only has an affect when there's a selection, so all the rest of the time it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm still using my mouse, though you're right, things would probably be faster if I learnt the keys. I'm guessing the keys work better than the scroll bar anyway, it's been giving me grief

Douglas
    Hello World

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks fen, where is the emacs file though? :S

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You already have it! - It's here: your ruby/lib/ruby-mode.el (your ruby installation dir).

OK, if you mean the .emacs file, it depends. If you're using windows, it's probably in C:\, and if you're using linux, it's in your home dir.

OK, thanks for the info. I try to use keys like C-n and M->, but I find it faster to navigate with C-s (incremental-search). I have not used bookmarks yet, but I will once I've practiced the other keys more.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't find the .emacs anywhere on windows xp :/

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you installed emacs? Where is it?

If you do a search for ".emacs" do you get any results?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have "show hidden files and folders" enabled in your Folder Options (tools -> Folder Options in any Windows Explorer window).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not just use freeride ?
    Business as usual is off the menu folks, ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galo
    why not just use freeride ?
    Because it's not as good as other available editors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Context was my first text-editor too, but the speed of udpates made me switch to UltraEdit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use TextMate. It has a lot of nice little features that make editing a breeze. But it also doesn't overload you with useless features -- it's lightwieght but powerfull.
    I tried RadRails but found it slow and buggy but I've heard it works better on WinXP than Mac OS X. I've been trying out Eclipse with the Ruby plugin but it gives me too much stuff I don't need and not enough of what in want in the feature set and UI. If you want something free Eclipse might be the way to go but TextMate is worth every cent and more.
    Stop Global &nbsp;