SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if reg. company goes out of business?

Here's a question I got from a client that I haven't run into before... experiences anyone??

I've run into the fact that I've registered domain names before with company A, then when renewal time comes around now I'm dealing with Company B as they took over/bought out or whatever the first company.

What IF a company goes bankrupt or completely out of business?? What happens to domain names you've registered through them? Obviously there is still a master record somewhere through ICANN of the name and it's owner, but does this cause problems to tranfer the name to another company?

Thanks in advance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - bump -

Anyone??? I still need an answer on this.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The procedure is different for each .tld.
    Is it a .com you're looking at?
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .com, .biz, .net etc... not canadian. Does ICANN automatically take control of them and resell them to another company or something like that??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99.9% of the time if the company goes bust then they're likely to be a reseller for one of the larger registrars (e.g. enom).
    So, do a complete whois (i use domain dossier - tick all the boxes) on the domain to see if you can figure out who the registrar is.
    That registrar will then be able to help you since in reality the domain is already registered through them. Usually it's just a case of going through their transfer-in process.
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdndesignz
    - bump -

Anyone??? I still need an answer on this.....
    Very simple - transfer your domain to another registrar 3 months in advance before expiry

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use a reseller like (namecheap, yahoo) if they go out of business the domain names go back to the main registrar who would give you your own login info

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that link. I dident know about that whois look up. Very thorough, very extensive.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toniya
    Very simple - transfer your domain to another registrar 3 months in advance before expiry
    Not sure why you're rolling your eyes here as you obviously didn't take the time to read the question.

No company gives you three months notice that they are going bankrupt, you just try to log in one day and poof they're gone and so is access to your domains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709
    No company gives you three months notice that they are going bankrupt, you just try to log in one day and poof they're gone and so is access to your domains.
    Whenever someone registers a domain, an email id is provided by the person. If someone finds that company is vanished then he will certainly try to transfer the domain to another registrar and all transfer procedure will be done through that email id itself. So I don't think this is a problem if registrar company is closed. Yes, there will be problem if domain rights are not with client. So I always suggest people to have full control on the domain name and use such an email id where you can complete transfer procrdure easily.