Thread: learning c++

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

learning c++

Hi,

I decided to take a peek at C++ and to see if I could learn that particular language. So, I'm armed with the Sams "Teach yourself C++" book by Jesse Liberty, and already have come across a stumbling block. The book states that in order to be able to run any C++ program, you need a compiler /linker / IDE dealie.

Well, I can understand how that works, what I don't understand is, where do I get these things from, and which one do I download? Are they available for free? I have a win98 system. I'm a newbie, although I know a little HTML (not the same thing, I know! *lol* ) and have dabbled with java and run some java programs using JDK from the DOS window, but other than that, I need non technobabble instructions, heh.

Can anyone help please? TIA.

Laughter is good for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any unix machine should already have a C and C++ compiler: gcc and g++ respectively.

If you don't have access to a unix machine, you'll just have to stick with a C/C++ compiler for windows, such as Borland C++ (I think.. I'm not too up to beat with windows compilers)

I remember that my C book came with a windows compiler on cd. Check that out too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi cupid,

thanks for the response.

I don't have linux, only windows. I received a link about the free Borland compiler, so I think I'll have a go with that.

Here's the linkage if anyone else wants a peek:

http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/

edit: typo.
    Laughter is good for you