SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article Discussion

This is an article discussion thread for discussing the SitePoint article, "Podtastic! Professional Podcasting for the Rest of Us"

Al Iguana
    SitePoint Community Guest
    You mention OGG on this. I would have said mp4/m4a was a better medium for the podcast. By using AAC+ you can get tiny filesizes like you can with OGG, and they can be played on cellphones etc. (Nero have released a free MP4 encoder now, check Hydrogen Audio website). Brilliant article, btw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article, I thought about doing some podcasting however having a very thick and broad Scottish accent would make me hard to understand lol

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific article! By the way, Skype is offering FREE calls to ANY phone in the US & Canada through year end!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By Jon Watson
    June 17th 2006

And the first ever sitepoint article written in the future...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great article - it's good to see how others are podcasting. It sounds like I need to get more equipment to bring mine up to the next level.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bit about normalizing is factually incorrect. Normalizing is the process of increasing the maximum level in a file to digital max i.e 0dbFS, however the necessary gain to do this is then applied universally to the rest of the file. This in no way decreases the difference between quiet and loud parts, to do that you would have to use a dynamic compressor or levelling process.

A tip I would add : A mistake that I hear in a lot of in web audio is bass pops and bangs in vocals- many people recordinging only listen back on tiny pc speakers that won't transmit low bass so are perhaps unaware, but it's annoying when listening on a decent system. The advice given about this in the article is sound, but I'd add that an eq process cutting all bass below 100hz on any mic recordings will help remove any such noises.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good spot, stevewebdev2005 - what the article describes with regard to smoothing the different between high and low levels is definitely not normalisation, but compression. Ideally, you would compress while recording, but I guess not too many podcasters have that kind of set up.

If you're getting too many pops, try a coat hanger twisted into a circle with a set of tights wrapped around it. Place this between the path to your mouth and the mic - it's a make-shift 'popper-stopper'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than go through a tutorial on recording techniques, how about referencing a site devoted to the subject. audiominds.com comes to mind, but there are definitely others. I think this article could have been better spent on podcast specifics, rather than so much production.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a general comment, but I've been noticing it more and more on articles here on the site over the past year... typos galore. These little things add up and impact credibility. In the intro it really doesn't help. Otherwise a good article.

Dwayne

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone notice that this article is published one month in the future?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I noticed!

That's very strange. It's written June 17, 2006.

Jon
    I wholeheartedly agree about the typos. I wrote this article months ago and almost forgot about its existence. When I read it this morning, the two (at least) typos in it leapt out at me.

I'm pretty sure that I introduced those errors, but I'm still disappointed to see that they made it through editing and onto the live site.

My apologies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typos and futuristic publication date fixed. Not sure what happened there. Thanks.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work in radio so I know the whole setup that I'd like to have, but having only a computer, I'm not sure what is out there as far as hardware goes. Since the things I used to work with were hooked up to a transmitter and not a computer, can anyone recommend somewhere to look for the things I'd need to create a quality podcast? I'm looking for mixers, mics, maybe a minidisc player - things like that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B
    I used to work in radio so I know the whole setup that I'd like to have, but having only a computer, I'm not sure what is out there as far as hardware goes. Since the things I used to work with were hooked up to a transmitter and not a computer, can anyone recommend somewhere to look for the things I'd need to create a quality podcast? I'm looking for mixers, mics, maybe a minidisc player - things like that.
    It depends on how far you want to take it and how much hardware over software you want. If I were recording a podcast I'd go all out as I already have all the recording equipment (I run a couple of audio production sites). Probably something like the following:

Condensor mic > compressor > mixer > decent computer soundcard or hardware multi-tracker

Then do post production in software like Soundforge.

Not sure what country you are from, but most of this stuff can be bought in zzounds (US) and Digital Village (UK). Ebay may be the cheaper option. Compressor isn't completely essential, but you'll need a mixer with a mic-preamp if you plan to go for a condensor mic. This may all be off topic for a web development site though....

But as the article states, the above may be over the top for a typical podcast especially once you've mangled the hell out of everything via mp3 to get a decent file size.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some typos are good for a giggle, and sometimes could work.. afterall, steaming audio could refer to some really 'crappy' sound :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all about over the top - I want it to be professional. I'm in the U.S. so I'll take a look at zzounds. Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Iguana
    You mention OGG on this. I would have said mp4/m4a was a better medium for the podcast. By using AAC+ you can get tiny filesizes like you can with OGG, and they can be played on cellphones etc. (Nero have released a free MP4 encoder now, check Hydrogen Audio website). Brilliant article, btw
    Absolutely correct about the MP4/M4A comment. I'm partial to OGG because I cut my teeth producing the GNU/Linux User Show on The Podcast Network. I'm a bit of an open source/free software evangelist so I feel obligated to produce a format that isn't encumbered by patents. If I was completely over the top, I wouldn't even produce an MP3, but I kind of want some listeners so I do.

For those of us who aren't worried about such things, then you're dead on about the formats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewebdev2005
    The bit about normalizing is factually incorrect. Normalizing is the process of increasing the maximum level in a file to digital max i.e 0dbFS, however the necessary gain to do this is then applied universally to the rest of the file. This in no way decreases the difference between quiet and loud parts, to do that you would have to use a dynamic compressor or levelling process.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I normalize almost every show because my co-hosts voice is a little louder than mine. I guess I didn't realize the technical aspects of normalizing although it seems to produce the effect I described.

Learn something new every day

Remy
    I think GarageBand 2 (for the Mac) should get a mention - as it handles the entire job of creating a podcast, including cues, images and it allows you to use the chat program to remotely interview someone in your podcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy
    I think GarageBand 2 (for the Mac) should get a mention - as it handles the entire job of creating a podcast, including cues, images and it allows you to use the chat program to remotely interview someone in your podcast.
    Yup - Garageband is one-stop shopping. I don't use a Mac, though, and have therefore never used it. I can't really comment on a product I've never used, so it didn't make the article.

There are many (oh, so many) applications and services out there now. I wrote this article about 3 months before it was published and even in that time span the number of programs has probably doubled.

Craziness...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there

Great article. I don't agree with the comment about not being able to make money out of your podcast. If the content you offer through podcasting is unique you should be able to sale it.

Chack www.seventhings.com

TRhis podcast has a subscription base option tht only members who pay for a period of membership can download. The rest of the users only get the free issues.

This system allows 7things to act as an online record level.

Regards

Rafael Cueto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rafaes,

Thanks for the comment. I've been in this gig for a while now and I regularly talk to an awful lot of podcasters and networks. The fact is that there is lots of money in podcasting, just not for the podcasters. Lots of hosts and advertising services and what have you are being showered with money from VCs, but very, very few actual podcasters are making money.

I should also clarify when I say "no money" I mean nothing significant. I would count making anything less than a couple of hundred bucks a month as "no money".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do I get free music tracks that you can put on the start of your podcast, some of the ones I've been hearing have some funky trance-like beats, I'd like to do that one day.