SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you use the 800 x 600 resolution and if so, WHY?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I use a lower resolution because of my bad vision!

1 0.66%
  • No, I use a higher resolution!

94 61.84%
  • Yes, I use it, because I want to see what the crowd sees!

30 19.74%
  • Yes, I always used it, cause I like it!

20 13.16%
  • Yes... but why, I don't know!

7 4.61%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast AppleCider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<when designing my site, I used to make them viewable for 800 x 600 but now I quit doing that, since I figured it's time for people to switch to a higher res. >>

You figure? Designers may have some power, but that I know of, we don't have the power to decide for people what they will and will not buy

<<I also tell everyone that designers and computer pro's never use that low res... is this true?? >>

Probably, but so what, unless you're actually designing all your sites for designers and computer pros.

A few things to remember: A lot of people, whatever they have at home, view the web at work. And I know for a fact that a government worker considers himself/herself LUCKY if they have a res of 800x600; many are stuck at 640x480.

Laptops are very popular, and many have a top res of 800x600.

Never assume your audience, unless you're designing an Intranet.
    You might as well fall flat on your
    face as bend too far over
    backwards.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I design my site, I always design it for 1024x768. That way I can use those images that are 850width that I spend time creating (Though I dont usually make my images that big.). Once my design is done, and if I have time.. then i'll go back and see what i could do to make it compatible in 800x600. If it requires me having to change anything that would make it look not so nice in 1024x768, then i dont change that. I'll only make changes to make it compatible in 800x600 if it still looks good in 1024x786. And if i do this, im not gonna have it take a lot of my time.

If I can take the time to optimize my site for 1024x760, then other people can take the time to switch to that resoulution. Period.

FYI, on my other comp (linux box), i have a 15" crt moniter. It supports 1024x768 and higher. Its using a old $30 graphic card (geforce2 mx). The moniter is 5 years old. Yeah, maybe everybody cant afford a 20" moniter , but they should be able to spend 20-30 dollers on ebay for a better graphics card. You dont even need a lcd moniter, i dont think they're all that great.
    Last edited by EricHQ2; Nov 4, 2001 at 22:49.
    signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by EricHQ2
    If I can take the time to optimize my site for 1024x760, then other people can take the time to switch to that resoulution. Period.
    haha, thats really funny.

Most end users barely know how to start their computer, much less adjust their resolution.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, and those that do know how, would have changed it already if they wanted to, so either way, changing it for your site is an unlikely scenario.

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, that's a smart thing to do. why would somebody change their res just to see your site?
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, on my other comp (linux box), i have a 15" crt moniter. It supports 1024x768 and higher. Its using a old $30 graphic card (geforce2 mx). The moniter is 5 years old. Yeah, maybe everybody cant afford a 20" moniter , but they should be able to spend 20-30 dollers on ebay for a better graphics card. You dont even need a lcd moniter, i dont think they're all that great.
    Erm..... i have an old P133 with a 32mb voodoo banshee 3D card, doesn't really change the fact the 15" moniter can't support 1024x768 properly.

hehe, ever tried to change the graphics card in a laptop?

Hmmmm, it would take you less time (approx. 21.875% less ) to design for 800 x 600...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quicker and easier for me to leave your site then to change my resolution for your site.
    All your doing is pushing visitors away if they have to do anything on their end to use your site.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

SitePoint Member Stevewilliamson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I may have missed this some where within the threads, but if even 2% of your visitors use 640 res, then you should design for this.

2% of a possible turnover of $1 million can result in an appreciable difference!

Try to cater to all your clients and customers and you will be succesful.

P.S. I currently use 1152 x 864 on my home machine for your info
    Steve Williamson
    Teknoledgi Pty Ltd
    www.teknoledgi.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, i can see you point... BUT

Whilst it would be nice to do so, is it really worth wrecking the nice design that your site could have had? It is likaly that the sort of people that have this kind of res. will have other compatabilty problems since they are using old stuff

It would be smarter to design for the majority and IMPRESS them with your site, rather than design for everyone and end up with a crappy old text based site that most people will never remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most companies I have worked for do not input the kind of budget most normal people spend on their own computers.

A simple browser redirect works if you need to publish a kick *** site, however, from my own experience, to design a site that requires a resolution greater than 640, also necessitates a connection speed greater than 56K.

To say that every one should have these requirements can mean missing out on opportunities, this is not advisable in todays society.
    Steve Williamson
    Teknoledgi Pty Ltd
    www.teknoledgi.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, I have about given up with all these dudes with their mega resolutions, that don't care about those who can't afford to upgrade, don't know they should, or just don't plain want to.

If the sites are not viewable with my browser or my resolution, I will leave it..they won't get referrals from me because I see it looks tacky......their loss. Let them view their own kickarse sites on their wonderful monitor and their latest version of IE.

Us caring people will bring in the hits! C'est la vie!

Woohoooooo another Aussie! welcome!
    Last edited by tdevil; Nov 7, 2001 at 06:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, your site looks weird on my PDA, can you design it for 320 x 240 ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by platinum
    Whilst it would be nice to do so, is it really worth wrecking the nice design that your site could have had?
    But it's not as if it's impossible to make a site design that works cross-browser and cross-resolution. Sites like Amazon.com, Microsoft.com etc. look good at both 640 x 480 AND at 1024 x 768.

Another thing that I think many of us don't realize is that the average user doesn't really care that much about the aesthetics. As long as it's usable and gets them the information without causing any problems then most of them will be happy. Look at sites like e-bay and yahoo - two of the most successful sites on the 'net and they're not IMHO that nice to look at.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really true. What designers pay attention to and what regular users like are not the same thing. Not even close, usually. And there was a recent study showing that users are really not interested in sacrificing usability for design at all. I just forget where it was..the study, that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unless the site has really good content, i find that i leave if it really looks bad.
    a nice looking site can be just as important as good content in some situations.
    if you have really great content, but your design is so bad that the user can't get to or see that content, what good is it to have it?
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Defender1
    unless the site has really good content, i find that i leave if it really looks bad.
    a nice looking site can be just as important as good content in some situations.
    if you have really great content, but your design is so bad that the user can't get to or see that content, what good is it to have it?

Of course, but you're including usability as part of design, and you're right. I should have said appearance, rather than design. A lot of designers put the appearance first, and it just isn't as important to the average user by a long shot. Also, what a designer thinks is a nice looking site and what a user finds perfectly acceptable can be miles apart, too.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best example is yahoo. Ugly looking site, very usable with tonnes of content. Also very popular.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation PDA's

I wouldn't mind designing for a PDA, never use mine for web work though!

However, WAP seems to be most suitable now, the only thing I won't accomodate is Web TV, TV's are for watching TV on, not surfing!

Aussie's unite....
    Steve Williamson
    Teknoledgi Pty Ltd
    www.teknoledgi.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: PDA's

Originally posted by Stevewilliamson

However, WAP seems to be most suitable now, the only thing I won't accomodate is Web TV, TV's are for watching TV on, not surfing!

Aussie's unite....
    Ahhhh, don't worry, as if you could use a PDA to surf the web often... hehe, it's way to small

But 640 x 480 is still too small to design for, sites that are purely for usability, like yahoo, maybe, but if i went to say, an art site, i wouldnt expect it to be all sqaushed up....

Really, it is too small of a percentage to design for, they can still see the site, they just get horiz. scroll bars for a coupla hundred pixels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: PDA's

Aussie's unite....
    Actually I agree almost. I work in a hotel (the westin) and they have full internet access to anyone interested in staying there. Instead of dishing out the cash for computers they give access via the TV. Which I think is great becaus of how easy it is.
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's anything like the hotels I stay in, they probably charge around $5 per minute for the pleasure.

More hotels should offer free internet access for both TV's and Laptops, should encourage people to stay in them.

Anyway back to resolutions, if you design a site well for 640, it usually looks good on 1024, to many designers like to cram as many images on the page as possible, I prefer to show an equal amount of white space, try to balance visually the text with images an you find you only need 1 or 2 per page, thats with a full page of text.

Don't slow the web more than it is.
    Steve Williamson
    Teknoledgi Pty Ltd
    www.teknoledgi.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design for: 800x600 +
    Use: 1280x1024

I simply cannot stand anything as low as 800x600 -- I don't even like 1024x768.

Everything is too big and up in my face. I prefer it small with a lot of screen space.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [B]If it's anything like the hotels I stay in, they probably charge around $5 per minute for the pleasure.

More hotels should offer free internet access for both TV's and Laptops, should encourage people to stay in them.
    I don't think so. (maybe) but the Westin charges in season up to 1500$/night. Not regular clients at all pure business conferences almost.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life is funny. On the site I do for a band, I get more computer savvy visitors with large monitors and good eyesight than any other site I work on. The only thing is the owner of the site - a starving artist - only has WebTV for access. That means not only being careful about screen resolution, but very limited javascript support and not much of anything else. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that WebTV actually handles different screen resolutions more easily than computers do, because it resizes images and tables to fit the screen. Of course, the wider your page, the more distortion you'll get in the results, but you won't have to scroll horizontally to see the whole page.

SitePoint Enthusiast AppleCider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could find this usability study for the exact figures, but I do remember the order of importance to users:

1. Speed of loading
    2. Ease of Use/Navigation (tied) Content
    3. (WAAAY behind the first two which were close) Graphics, design, "the way the site looks"

Naturally, that's an overall picture, and there are exceptions. If you're visiting an art or design site, you expect it to look good, even cutting-edge. But people who are surfing for information don't want to see spinning globes, a Flash splash page, etc. And that's not to say that people like ugly pages...the opposite is true.

I think a lot of designers confuse the issues....believing that you can't have a beautiful site that is fast loading, and easy to navigate. Or else they're simply too lazy to consider other issues (like the people who actually visit their site!).

If you design for one resolution, or one browser, you're in effect telling everyone else "I don't want you." Fine if you design a hobby site, or one with your deep musings on life. If there's any ecommerce involved, though, the site will be in big trouble, fast.
    You might as well fall flat on your
    face as bend too far over
    backwards.