SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i need a php mentor

i am trying to learn php, and i'm having a little bit of a hard time...i know html and css, but i'm a little behind the curve on PHP.

I'm willing to pay someone to be my PHP mentor. I'd prefer to do it online via chat, IM, and email. I'm usually available online between 6pm and 12midnight eastern time.

give me a buzz if you can help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just ask specific questions here? We can all help, and in the future, your questions will help others.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess you're right, I'll post here....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about to write some docs for some of my classes and would like for someone to read through and see it all makes sense.
    You could then ask me as many questions as you want and I will use these questions to build examples and a FAQ to clarify things.
    If you are interested send me a PM
    www.SQLrecipes.com A free cookbook for SQL recipes.

I didn't believe someone could make over $19,000 a month...
    ...with Google Adsense, until I read this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been asking the same question about finding mentors for years. Forums are great - to name a few - I've posted:
    www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330145
    http://www.coloradobusinessonline.co...opic.php?t=234

594 times in this Site Point forums
    123 times in the phpbb fourms since their last reset
    246 times in the cubecart forums
    409 times in the Skype forums

Forums are great and I use them a lot as your can see above. Still sometimes it is useful to have someone tell us the questions we should be asking, but are not or when they think we are on the wrong track.

We now have tools other than text message boards available for use. Tools like interactive text chat, interactive voice chat with products like Skype, conferencing tools with text and voice capabiltity and the ability to view common documents.

Starting to see the mentor / voice chat capability developing with foreign language learning groups. (may have to learn spanish to try out the tools)

Sometimes the mentor may be for beginning situations and sometimes the mentor may be needed for very specific php / mysql / specific opensource application questions. Wouldn't it be nice if starting a "real job" or business requiring certain technical expertise to have one or more mentors in our pocket - in theory they could be anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

I've tried and am still trying to find a way to find mentors through project sites like GetACoder.com, but most of these sites are more project oriented and discourage a close interaction between the student and mentor - to protect the the commission - I'm guessing.
    Last edited by DenverDave; May 13, 2006 at 13:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you to read
    "PHP MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamidof
    I would suggest you to read
    "PHP MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson
    Ditto. That's what I read to learn PHP and MySQL. I literally read the book and then built a dynamic website for a client. It's very well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the best is php and mysql kevin yank's book

Obey the Purebreed trib4lmaniac's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://php.net/ is handsdown the best PHP resource

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trib4lmaniac
    http://php.net/ is handsdown the best PHP resource
    It's a great reference but not the best way to learn PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good references, but not interactive mentors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DenverDave.

I think you have summarised the mentoring opportunity very nicely.

A few years ago a colleague came to me saying, Come up with some ideas together to spend x on a bid for funding, there theme is local business support in the rural economy, and one of the streams could be online business mentoring.

One idea I came up with was that established local businesses, take for example Bank Managers, Solicitors - would agree to give up say 1 hour a week to host and online Q+A session for all the "students". Nowadays of course we would think of Podcasts too....

Another idea was that retired/semi-retired (for renumeration or not) small business owners would mentor, probably just one or two "students" ie the owner/manager of a startup, or growing small business.

Now the old guy running the Nursery may not seem to have too much in common with a mobile car valeter, but he can teach him lots of tricks about dealing with customers, the bank mgr, vehicle leasing etc etc.

The support would have been online only, a record of the "transactions" would be kept. Use would be made of IM (we didnt have skype at the time), and emails.

Those transactions would form the basis of a "knowledge base" with FAQs etc that would be opened up for all.

I mean it never happended, cause they blew the cash on webcasting paraphernalia... and gave most of it to the company that provided it.

But interactive mentors - thats a nice idea. The thing about the "business mentoring project that never happened" was that the mentor and student would have to get to know about each other. In our case that intimacy does address one great shortcoming of forums, we are all guessing at the skillset of the OP, sometimes a problem is trivial to fix once you discover what the heck they are on about... other times I find myself giving basic answers out to someone who knows more than I do about PHP, and I this often results in sarcasm.

I think a "mentor broker" service could be a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i didnt like Php and MySQL webdevelopment from welling/thomson too much, i like PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites (visual quickpro guide) from Larry Ullman a lot more
    nothing.

SitePoint Enthusiast sabret00the's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smittenbite
    i didnt like Php and MySQL webdevelopment from welling/thomson too much, i like PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites (visual quickpro guide) from Larry Ullman a lot more
    i actually really liked that book too.

Larry's one.