SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Porting ASP to PHP

My first post! A big one!!

I kinda got myself into bind... OOPS!!

I have a client that has an Access database and whoever developed the website before used javascript and ASP with this Access database. They also used Microsoft Visual InterDev6 which means a lot of proprietary code slapped in there.

The problem... well, my client has switched hosting providers because of the price difference and the new hosting provider runs a Unix environment.

The good news...

The database isn't big and there isn't many pages that require it.. Just a contact management database.. nothing huge...

The Bad news...

I am new at PHP and mySQL, and I really like the flexibility that it has over ASP, but me being new to it is my short comings...

What I am looking for...

A way to convert these files, and the exact procdure on how I would do it, and if its possible to port it over without re-writing everything...

I did try some tool that converts ASP to PHP but it doesn't work all that hot it just jams PHP code in the file that doesn't work.... Remember the MS proprietary code? you guessed it! that is the culprit!

Thanks...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, it's not what you are looking for this answer.. Honestly, it's impossible to convert them. You will have to rewrite the script of PHP/mySQL.. PHP, ASP and Perl, they all aren't ever same at all but the idea are almost same.

You might want go to www.php.net and search for the functions what you had in ASP. It might help..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of all the pages that there is (32 pages), only one was written in VBScript... I know the asp2php program converts ASP to PHP, but its only for VBScript not MS Javascript