User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Please help sad newbie!

Hi,
    Any help appreciated! My wife's site has been up and running for almost 2 years, we come top in yahoo.com listings and 6th for yahoo.co.uk for our keywords. We have a Google PR of 3 which is similar or better than similar sites. Google looks at the site and has cached it but...
    We never list in searches, even PR zero sites come higher, we are not even listed in the first 600 sites on google!
    Have I done something to get banned or am I in the sand box? I have read before that I can ask google to unban me but I don't know how.
    We have spent 1000's on SEO companies who have made no cahnges I can see at all.
    Any help appreciated before I go mad. Any comments about the site appreciated as well. Cheers

<snip>

Thanks
    Last edited by stymiee; May 11, 2006 at 04:59. Reason: Website reviews are not allowed here

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not banned, or you would not rank 2nd for the phrase "Welcome to Thomasrocks". If you are targetting "Thomas the Tank Engine" then you would find the competition hot as there are 209,000 other sites with that in their title (giving a rough idea of how many other sites are optimised for that phrase).

Although you have the phrase occurring several times in your content, it doesn't appear in any headings - bad. I've only checked one backlink but the anchor text isn't "Thomas the tank engine", it's your site name - bad.

Just as a side note, you have 2 <title> tags on your homepage.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need to optimize your pages more. Read the Search Engine Optimiztion FAQ for more tips. If you have any specific questions about what you've read post them here and we'll help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then you can search for links from relevant sites. It is very important to get links from relevant sites

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Thanks, I've made some changes and I'll keep working on it, then try and get some relevant links. Out of interest I read somewhere on one of the threads that google penalises pages that are very similar or identical to other pages. Would this have any effect on multiple domains all pointing to the same web space or even identical pages on different web space? I've set up several to cover miss-spellings and .co.uk etc.

Cheers

Kenny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Google penalises duplicate content. Are you saying that you have the same site sitting on a different domain? Multiple domains pointing at the one site shouldn't matter I don't think.
    Wolfmother.net - Wolfmother Fan Site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a bit daft, but I set up the .co.uk site thinking it's links would point into the .com site giving me more inbound links, but that I would keep it on another server and at the same time benefit from the .co.uk domain. I kept meaning to change the content of the site but have changed it very little so it has ended up being nearly identical. Time for lots more work I think!

Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adsense

Thanks for the help. I tried adsense for a week an stangely google suddenly picked up my sites keywords and the site started appearing naturally as soon as google had cached the index page with adsense ads on it. I assume google gives extra priority and checks the context of pages running google adsense adds more carefully?
    Sadly the site also dropped from 1st and 8th on Yahoo for my best two keywords- to 477th and nowhere! I guess yahoo penalises google ads!