SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP, MySQL on Unix Server

I am a newbie to developing database driven websites and have a simple question...

My site is hosted on a UNIX server (Solaris I believe) which supports ASP, PHP and mySQL.

I would like to be able to host a mySQL database on the server and use ASP to interact with it. Is this possible on a UNIX server? If so, are there any questions that I need to ask my web-hosting company to ensure this will work?

Regards,
    James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I don't have ANY experience with ASP, but I do know that for your host to be running it on a unix server, they must be using Chili!Soft ASP, because otherwise it only works on windows servers.

I'm sure that if your host supports mySQL, then the can give you a mySQL database, just contact them about it. The only question that remains is whether or not ASP supports the user of a mySQL database, and having never used it myself, I don't know, but I would guess that they do. mySQL is one of the most common databases for websites, and I would be quite schocked if ASP can't use a mySQL database. You just have to read up on it ASP documentation.
    Marc Gugliuzza
    marc.gugliuzza.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I will check with the hosting company again. I am sure that I'm not the only person trying to do this.

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also could be running iASP, but like Marc, I don't have any experince with ASP on Linux, but what I have heard is that it more or less sucks.