SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Mundine be stripped of his WBC ranking?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - he should be punished

6 37.50%
  • No - he has a right to say whatever he want's

10 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WBC strips Mundine of ranking

Do you think he deserved this or is it going to far?
    The World Boxing Council has indefinitely stripped Anthony Mundine of his ranking over controversial remarks the super middleweight made this week about the September 11 attacks on the US.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/0110/25/sport/sport101.html

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an Earth have ones political or other beliefs got to do with ones ability to box? Many western politicians have said the same thing (in more veiled terms) - should they be stripped of their office? I have read American political anylists in The Times conceding that certain foreign policies have lead to a climate which is likely to breed Sept 11th type action - should they be gagged? Should they use their US citizenship and Journalism only to spread messages that suit whoever made this decision?

I happen to think an "America brought it upon itself" comment way oversimplies things and made on its own is untrue. However, the minute someone has their career affected for saying it, we are moving very much into a George Orwell era and I don't like it.

I am a huge boxing fan, but this is going to make me review any support of WBC events.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I agree that he can say what he want's but he is still responcible for what he says.
    I do think the WBF have gone a bit far, I read that the head of the WBF nearly lost his brother at the WTC. I would prefer to hit him where it hurts by not supporting any of his sponsors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a far more appropriate action for those that took issue with the statements - agreed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down He deserves everything he gets

He said a whole lot more than just "America brought it on itself"..

He also said "it was not terrorism" and rattled on for a while, something about Allah and Islam this and that. But it was the "not terrorism" part that knocked me off my chair (yes, I saw it live to air) It is people with these same sort of views that the whole world is now fighting against, isn't it? And he was condoning it..

Yes, he apologised, but in my opinion, he is the one who "brought it on himself", as he always has done..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me for not taking you seriously. You obviously only listen to what you want to hear, or that which is familiar to you. I don't know what he said, and am relying on the news report, but since you discredit everything he apparently said that doesn't fit your model of "evil nasty terrorist lover" with "something about Allah and Islam this and that", I really don't care what your opinion is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to agree with me, I never asked you to. Remember I said it was my opinion?

But, I have been seeing this person for years, always spouting the same crap. He is a showpony, always has been, and yes, I saw and heard every word he said that morning, not just the bad bits, although those are the parts that left myself and my partner shaking our heads. I watched him cut off, then given another chance, only to say the same thing.

I also think that it was not up to the interviewer, Richard Wilkins, to ask him about it in the first place. It was only done because they knew he would give a sensational answer, as he always does. (also in my opinion)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. You can see my point though - if you don't actually know what his fundemental points were regarding Islam, then you are a bit of a biased listener (something we are all guilty of one way or another). I didn't see the interview and don't know his history, if he is a "sensationalist", then I accept your experience in the matter. Welcome to the forums btw

(I still don't think someones opinions, whether paletable or not should in any way affect a "sports" ranking. It is there to test ability - the minute political or religious persuasion is introduced as a factor the body responsible loses all credibility in my view)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Sorry if we got off to a rough start there, I'm glad you can see my opinion, as I can see yours..

As an Aussie, and having this person in our faces for a long time, he grates on you after a while!

I'm not really up on Islamic beliefs, but I have read some parts of the Quran online, http://www.hti.umich.edu/k/koran/
    and I'm sure that if you do a search on any keyword, you will find nothing that says it's ok to fly a plane into a building and kill 5000 people! No matter what your beliefs are, it's terrorism, in any language.

The whole matter is turning people into basket-cases, and putting in my 2 cents worth is just a way of me dealing with it.

Once again, sorry if I offended you..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh. It's kind of a hot topic at the moment. I apologise for over reacting a little. Another Aussie eh? There goes the neighbourhood

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink *cough*

Don't even go there Matey!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, he is a real ******. He has only been a Muslim for 5 minutes as well. I think he is trying to be Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I go off on this, just let me say that the only thing I have read/heard about this, was that short little story in the original post :/

Kinda reminds me of the John Rocker story. He was the guy in new york who made some racist comments at a press conference. I can't remember exactly what his punishment was, but I know he did get punished.

I heard a few days ago, he used to have to RUN to the pitchers mound when it was his turn to pitch, becuase ppl in the audiance would throw stuff at him He had to make it to the mound before he got hit with somethign that would really hurt <EG>

This guy makes me sick. Free speech is great, but ya know, where do you draw the line? Should there be a line? heck yeah...right here..this is where the line is drawn.

How dare he say that, who does he think he is? I don't care about his apology, as I know it is not heartfelt, and he just did it because his agents told him to. :/

If he hates the US so much, why doesn't he just go back to afg, and fight along side the Taliban, so he can be blessed by his god for killing Americans.

Punk. I don't think any punishment is too severe for this guy. #()*&%^(*^#*&($@#*$&(#()*$&
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <laughing at Renegade>

whew! Give that man a drink!

Okay I have to admit I don't support boxing, and as far as the rights to "Freedom of Speech"....well there is no line as I see it. As long as it exists, people will exercise their rights to it, right or wrong.

If the WBC sees fit that his ranking be stripped than so be it. I could care less. But at the same time, other organizations should strip the rights of other players who have done worse than to say whats on their mind. Not naming names but I bet we all could think of several. Its all a bit hypocritical really.
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - goddamnit, I'm agreeing with Urally - what is the world coming to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H- What is so wrong with agreeing with URAlly, hmmm?

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is important to keep thing in perspective here. Mundine is a professional boxer. This means that he gets punched in the head for a living. You decide how much notice you want to take of what someone who gets punched in the head on a professional basis has to say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Sid has said all that really needs to be said!

The question isnt really what he deserves. It is more why was he set up? he didnt just blurt out his statement for no reason, he was asked a question that didnt need an answer, would bring no light to the reasons on why S11 happened and how to prevent it, all it did was provide us with another reason to call yet another boxer a moron, something wich we know is a common side effect of 1.5 dozen to many hits to the head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    I think it is important to keep thing in perspective here. Mundine is a professional boxer. This means that he gets punched in the head for a living. You decide how much notice you want to take of what someone who gets punched in the head on a professional basis has to say

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it interesting that people who disagree with the general public opinion get banned, yet we have murderers, rapists, and crack addicts in the NFL. Something isn't right here...
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he has a RIGHT to say what he wants...but the WBC has the right to do whatever they want to maintain a healthy public image. The issue is not whether or not they have the right to punish him...but rather, whether or not you'd do the same. Me? I dunno. I don't like the logic that politics and such should NEVER effect sports...if some professional baseball player came forward and said that he hopes the US is hit again, and again, and said that he'd help Bin Laden if he could, and I were in Bud Selig's (MLB commissioner) shoes, I'd suspend him for a year, at least.

There is a line...not every statement should be treated seperately...so, while I see your point, I can't agree that the two should be completely seperate from one another. In this specific case, I would definitely do something to try to punish him...I'd refuse to back him, and perhaps make things as difficult for him as possible, without stripping his title from him...however, they know their business better than I do, so I certainly will not fault them for this decision right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RKuhle
    I find it interesting that people who disagree with the general public opinion get banned, yet we have murderers, rapists, and crack addicts in the NFL. Something isn't right here...
    Good call!

Someone once told me, "there's 3 gang bangers in every huddle" Lately, I believe it.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris aka TWTCommish -

Good to see you again! I look forward to viewing debates between you and OriginalH once again. You guys put the pro's to shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL...thank you. Been away lately...sorry about that. I'll try to stick around a bit more this time around.