User Tag List

Thread: :(

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:(

This is more a local thing (that happened in my city) and isn't anywhere near the scale compared to anthrax outbreaks in the US and other shocking events, but it really seems to have hit home right now.

Where I live, I live about 5 mins away from a notorious rail crossing/major road intersection. Today, I was driving to work this morning after dropping some of mum's stuff at her workplace when I heard on the radio that there was chaos at that particular intersection. The announcer went on to say that a guy in a wheelchair got stuck at the railway crossing (the wheels got stuck on the track) and there was a train running through from about a kilometre away towards the intersection....... You can guess the rest

I don't know why, but it seems to have *really* affected me. For some reason I seem to have this vivid 'sequence' in my mind of this happening - I can't imagine what the motorists sitting at that intersection are feeling right now having witnessed it.

For those who live in Melbourne (particularly mmj), I was referring to the Springvale/Whitehorse Road intersection in Nunawading...

I wonder if this is indicative of the effect that world events have had on everyone's psyches.....

<<Late edit: official confirmation - http://www.theage.com.au/breaking/20...XSXCHG7TC.html>>
    Last edited by BC; Oct 24, 2001 at 19:59.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awful. I know that intersection as I use to live in Melbourne.
    One thing I noticed about Sydney is that there are hardly any railway crossings here.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's terrible indeed. Why didn't anyone hop out of their car and help the guy out?
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mm..that's awful. Poor guy. I can';t imagine witnessing it.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine how you would feel, but I can understand how you have played it over in your mind. It is a terrible thing to happen, but it did, and you need to put it to rest.

I don't know why no-one helped him, I guess it's just human nature, maybe he didn't want to be helped? Maybe everyone was just too caught up in their own personal dramas to even notice he was there? I guess we will never know...

I hope that by the time you see this, that you have moved a little further forward and come to terms with it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People tend to experience pain or remorse when events hit close to home (no pun intended). A good example is the WTC attacks. Even though people live in other countries, they have been directly impacted in some form or fashion because everyone feels it could have happened to them. And the fact it happened so close to you, makes it harder to deal with.

As far as the witnesses....Some witnesses watched this in what was a matter of seconds subconsciously, and others in slow motion, while others were already experiencing a state of shock before the incident occurred. And yet other witnesses probably weren't paying attention believe it or not. Its amazing what the mind will do in a situation so tragic. I know all to well.

Anyway, your pain will soon pass and that empty feeling in your stomach will subside too. Time heals. It really does.
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn that is terrible... I only just found this thread.

I know that intersection too because it is near my grandma's and I get along well with her (so I visit her from time to time).

It's a terrible intersection - with the railway crossing so near to that large whitehorse road intersection.

Whitehorse road is massive at that point, and Springvale road's pretty big (wish it was bigger!).

There's always tons and tons of cars waiting on springvale road at that point and they would have seen it happen...

That's a really horrible mental picture and when I next drive over it I'm going to remember reading this thread.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff