SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Is it worth it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth it?

I'm planning on paying the fee for a Yahoo express submission for my humor site, but do you think it's worth it? There are literally hundreds of jokes/humor sites listed on Yahoo, and I wonder if I would get a real good edge if my site was listed with Yahoo. The fee seems very high, and I want to make sure it's worth it. With a good title and description, I wonder if I'd be able to get at least 700 unique visitors from Yahoo daily?

Your thoughts are needed. Thanks.
    I would never do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my own ****, okay? Kevin, http://www.freakyhumor.com

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo gets some of it's results from Google!! I submitted to Google and managed to get some Yahoo traffic.

Paying the fee doesn't even guarantee they index you, and they are sticklers.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a joke site that was listed at the top of the Jokes category, I probably received around 20 hits a day from Yahoo. In my opinion, no, your listing isn't worth the $200 Express fee. Stick with the free submission...
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, paying the fee doesn't guarantee that your site will be listed, but you have a much better chance than with the free submission since we can make appeals, and it just takes a few days, rather than several weeks and possibly never even getting the submission checked.

Wow , i can't believe you're getting such a low number of visitor referrals. I'm going to have to think this over . If you don't mind, what's your jokes site address? I want to try to search for it on Yahoo and see how well your site is listed.
    I would never do crack... I would never do a drug named after a part of my own ****, okay? Kevin, http://www.freakyhumor.com

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the time it was www.2crazyguys.net , probably not up anymore because the domain expired and I didn't renew.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on the category you're applying for. If the category you're applying for is saturated, don't count on a lot of traffic. Of course, if it's not, that doesn't guarantee lots of traffic either - it could be a directory that's never accessed.

Google helps, yes, but its not the complete solution when it comes to Yahoo. You always want to be listed in Yahoo if you can afford it; even if you don't pull in tons of traffic with it directly, search engine algorithms will like you better.

Adam
    Find A Web Host: Click Here
    Hosting News & Information:Click Here
    Web Host Reseller Info:Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is only worth it, if you are able to get a good position on the site or a good category, but the problem is that you have no clue what category you will end up in or what position you'll end up in... so... it's a matter of luck, even if you beat the huge odds of even getting a listing period.... So, I don't recommend it, unless you are a site that focuses heavily on a particular keyword and couldn't misconstrued as any other keyword all that easily which the yahoo editors may think would benefit yahoo better to place somewhere else...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to pay for something, I would suggest Inktomi. Inktomi supplies MSN, iWon, AOL, Anzwers, and other large engines with its results, and it only costs $30 for a year, with discounts for other URLs.
    Anita Cohen-Williams
    Search Engine Guru
    http://www.mysearchguru.com