User Tag List

Thread: Press Info

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Press Info

The Editorial Assistant of a Florida lifestyles magazine just contacted me and has asked for press info on my site: http://www.computertim.com, for featuring in their magazine.

What type of information should I send? This is the first time I have ever interacted with the press, so some tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd image you would send them information, kind of like a press release. Show your stats, what makes you unique, and make it sound exciting!

Did they contact you out of the blue, or did you send them a press release?

Congratulations!!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silverado4x4,

Thanks for your help. They just contacted me out of the blue. I was quite surprised.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few suggestions:

1. Short summary about you and the website - how and why you got started, what you do/offer, who are your visitors/customers etc.
    2. A more detailed document covering the above, possibly with your own bio included
    3. Photo of yourself, maybe some screenshots of your site
    4. Full on- and offline contact details
    5. A list of suggested article topics or areas of expertise that you can comment on. You might even suggest a few suitable interview questions (and answers)
    6. Copies of any press releases
    7. Copies of any previous press coverage
    8. Any notable information - awards you've received, testimonials, etc.

Check out their magazine and tailor the kit to their likely focus.

I think there are a few sites and articles around on the Web that have more formal advice - I'm not a pro in this area!

Best,

Mark Brownlow
    http://www.keepingthekey.com/
    Give your newsletter impact and influence

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In MJCB's point number one, it looks like he is referring to a synopsis. This is a catchy short summary about your site that is designed to catch attention and create intrigue. Writing a good synopsis is a skill that is very hard to master and there are people whose entire job is to write them. Multi million dollar decisions are made on the strength of a synopsis.

I'm no expert on doing this either but you should give a hint of what, how much, how exciting it is, etc within 25 words, or 50 words, or 100 words. But keep it short. It's like a headline. Include your selling points. Work out what message would be best for that particular publisher - then work out what angles are most likely to attract attention.

Understand that if a publisher or agent reads 500 of them each day, and only reads the synopsis, that they need to know enough about you to be intrigued and read further. They also must know what sort of thing it is that you have - so they need a description of 'what'. So you need to include the word 'website' in your synopsis

I'm guessing, though, that because they initiated contact then that's not going to be a problem

Once you've created a good press release you can use this to approach other publishers though.
    Last edited by mmj; Oct 25, 2001 at 10:41.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm working on the E-mail now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could post the press release here in this thread and get feedback on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a matter of what you should sent them... because the answer is... You shoudl send them everything... it's a matter of how you should organize.. and that's pretty easy because you just organize it from most important information first, then you have the worthless stuff in the middle and then some more less important stuff at the end, to have a very powerful presentation of it... The press usually wants every detail possible and the easier that you make it for them the better. I've dealt with the press on several occassions and basically I have found that it's just a whole lot easier to send them everything, especially when dealing with magazines such as Maxim, People, and the like, when Maxim, Stuff, and POV, did interviews on me, they just really wanted me to send them everything I could about myself and my sites and then they sent me a list of questions that they wanted me to answer, and boom, all done, took me about an hour to get an additional many thousands of visitors to my site over a period of a month.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Press Release Article

Congrats! Here is an article that may assist you.

=======================================================
    Press Release Resources

Press Releases are one of the best ways to advertise for free. Have you moved? Started a new business or added a new piece to your business? Teaching a class or speaking somewhere? Written an article? Upgraded your web site? Graduated or received certification from "x"? Those are just a few thoughts of what information can be placed in a press release.

Listed below are a few wonderful resources to help you with your press release.

The Top 10 Most Important Documents to Include in Your Press Kit www.topten.org/public/AF/AF56.html
    The Top 10 List for Writing a Bio or Press Release www.topten.org/public/AA/AA111.html
    Free template http://internetwriters.com/release.htm
    Free builder http://loska.com/release-builder.html
    Press release tutorial www.ktamarketing.html

Below are URL's that will assist you as you look for newspapers in your local community, entire state or anywhere else in the country.

Newspaper Links www.newspaperlinks.com
    Gebbie Press: PR Media Directory http://gebbie.com
    David's On-Line Mall Service http://www.dolsm.com/cgi-bin/webdata...ifunction=user
    Washington State Newspaper Publishers Association www.wnpa.com/main/online.html

Additional Information:

See if your newspaper has a web site (URL) where you can obtain information on how to submit a press release (some papers actually don't accept or have restrictions regarding press releases).
    Check the Internet Yellow Page sites for information.
    Research newspapers at your local public library. Sometimes the main branch has a copy of all the newspapers in your area.

2000-2001 Maria Marsala, Business and Life Coach & Consultant www.coachmaria.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you maria! Very informative!