SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so many articles on PHP here! :)

However, I would like to know which article tutorial I should read that will get me started on creating my first CMS for a website that has 20 pages. I am familiar with CSS and HTML coding however I might work for a company or for a client that demands I code a php website, something where they can update the content of the website easily without combing through HTML and CSS code. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well googling php cms tutorial brings in plenty of tutorials but if you are completely new to PHP then keep it really simple, stay away from OOP and Templating for the time being.

Basically you want to decide where to keep the "data on the page" - ie what users input, seperate from navigation, so you might use include files for the header and the footer of the page.

Then you might use a database to store the "data on the page", or keep it as text files.

It all depends how much effort you want to put into learning...

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorial...t-Management/1 is probably a good place to start, download some code and find the ideas/implementations you feel comfortable with.

this one looks easy to grasp too;
    http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/cms-php-mysql.php

Now, as you progress you will find you have to grapple with security, come back here and search for specific answers - and good luck. Stick with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why go elsewhere when you can have it all here:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/subcat/php-tutorials

The list at the bottom of that page will help you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, but which one is the best to start with? I've heard rumors that with PHP, you could save your text in Word and have it show up on the website.

Keep it simple, stupid! bokehman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsoner
    rumors that with PHP,
    Don't go on rumours... buy a good book... and use an ASCII text editor with syntax highlighting to write your scripts. Crimson editor is a good free one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also PHP designer is a great editor and best of all its free. Don't want to put my own plug in here but I have created a small cms that is extremely easy to use and administer. Also Open Source. See my Sig.