SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessing multiple URLs through one link.

I have a really strange question for you all, any help on the subject is really appreciated:

I want to have it so in my XHTML/CSS page there's a link, but if you click on the link it opens more than one page at the same time. Is this even possible? I don't really have any examples of what I want or anything, it's just an idea I had and would really like to use.

Help!
    Visit Creative Something, my creativity blog.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

window.open

This sounds like a job for onclick to call a javascript function that uses multiple window.open()s But do you really want to open a bunch of pop-ups?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint makes good use of the functionality you describe. The JavaScript trigger "Onload=" [page] could help. Be careful-- today's browsers utilize popup blocker.

Q...

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

tabs

It might be more acceptable (if the total weight of all the "pages" is low enough, to open 1 page with tabs that show other "pages" hidden content. If javascript isn't enabled it would be one long page instead of tabs showing hidden divs.
    You have to consider if the 1 page load is better than the several loads.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many pages opening in new tabs?

thanks a lot Mittineague!

i want to find a way to get the computer to do something for me at work....
    sometimes we have to open almost a thousand secured webpages to update servers at our clients (where i work) or change different things in many servers...

and opening all those servers was quite annoying because of all those pop ups saying oh my god! this is a secured webpage! be careful!!... and do you want me to remember your password? and youre like No! the other webpage told you my password when i came in stop annoying me...

so we started considering ways to make the computer just, open all those pages for us...

thanks Mittineague as a total JavaScript newbie i managed to make your trick, now i have an HTML button on a cheap XHTML page that opens a ton of new browsers to all those servers, just had to figure that you need to put " signs around your URLs in the () of the open.window() functions....

but anyways, now i wonder, all those Windows it makes that old weird Linux computer i work on get real slow.. is there any way to make all those pop in new tabs on Firefox?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by envis
    but anyways, now i wonder, all those Windows it makes that old weird Linux computer i work on get real slow.. is there any way to make all those pop in new tabs on Firefox?
    Not that I'm aware of. You can set Firefox to open all new windows in a new tab but that doesn't work for the javascript method you're using, at least not for me since I'm still getting those annoying popups in a new window from time to time.

But, I thought of something else with Firefox that might work for you. Put all your links you want to have opened in tabs at the same time in a separate bookmark folder, and with a right click on the folder you should get something like "open in tabs", and voila all your links within the folder are opened as tabs. If the tabs are now a bit of a mess, you might want to browse the Firefox extensions for some tab extensions.
    Dan G
    Marketing Strategist & Consultant