SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help needed with Oscommerce and Barclays?

Can anybody help when it comes down to Secure payment and a not very helpful Host, if not then ignore this post! Arrrgh!!!!!
    Sorry about that, I feel alot better now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. Got a specific question?

You do need to have a cooperative host to install an SSL certificate on shared hosting. Your site must be given a unique IP address of its own, it can't share with others and use SSL. Once that's done, most of the hosting control panels have a page somewhere that'll let you install the SSL certificate yourself. If you can't find one, you'll need to ask your host to do it again.

With no control panel, you would need to ask your host to generate a CSR (certificate signing request) to give to the company you want to purchase an SSL certificate from. They'll ask for it at some point in the purchase process. It's a block of encrypted text generated on the server you're adding the certificate to, and requires a couple pieces of information to generate.. off the top of my head.. domain name (include the 'www.' if that's what you want to secure), company name, company division, city, state, zip?, country.

You give that to whoever you're buying the certificate from, they give you a certificate back (another block of encrypted text) that needs to be installed on the server. Do that, restart the web server, and you'd be able to access your site through https://

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have but, I didn't find these, thanks.

My skills are HTML and CSS not PHP and seams that my Host Developer is the only one that can help with these things, I will forward these links to my developer in the hope that it will make sense to him, however, I assume he should know this stuff already?