User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member extremecash12127's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Beginner? Review www.extremecashsite.com

I have never touched a computer untill 6 months ago so I feel this is creative, different and useful.

Let me know what YOU think as far as usefulness of the site, promotional tools, colors, tables and whatever else you can think of to improve this site and it's features.

Thanks,
    Webmasters Light

www.extremecashsite.com
    Last edited by Varelse; May 4, 2006 at 14:01. Reason: url added

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is, in short, garish.

Black background, heavy fonts and colours, scrambled layout all contribute to a site which has the creativity of a four year old.

Go back to the drawing board and start afresh

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A site like this is particularly hard to review only because you may or may not posses the technical skill to impliment the changes people have in mind. I think it also to review at your skill level so I suppose if you really hadn't touched a computer in your life before six months ago (which I don't even think is possible in 2006). Then this the best site ever...lol. I mean, having to conceptualize everything having to do with computers in 6 months is something most people couldn't relate to. The site needs a lot of work. In terms of the aspects you mentioned the site very well could be useful, but the layout and feel turns off the viewer so much that this usefulness is very much hindered. Overall the site just makes you want to leave and go to yahoo. The black background definitly needs to go. You need to use warm, inviting colors when building sites like this. The moving gif images are cheesy and their "coolness" factor went out in 96. You also need to organize the site in such a way that doesn't require so much downward scrolling. Organize everything in catigories so the user can quickly find what he or she needs without having to try and search for it on such a cluttered homepage. The gold dropdown buttons appear blank until you roll over them which can be confusing. Im not sure if you did this on purpose, but you should definitly make them viewable instantly when the site loads. The extreme cash site graphic you have, which is really your logo, is all the way at the bottom of the page almost and you don't really have a graphic at the top. So I would move it, or a similar graphic to the top, I know this is a lot, cause it needs a lot of work, but overall I would say work on making it look INVITING, ORGANIZATION, and PROFESSIONALISM.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soo... a site like that doesn't need to be particularly appealing visually - people will be attracted more by whats in it than by what it looks like. Bold is good - it makes people think serious.

I will say that there were no titles on the navigation bar until I moused over them. This may be an error in the code or a picture that is not loading fast enough.

I was interested enough to bookmark it, and I think that is what counts.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The look and feel of the page makes me think of the old "underground" warez sites on the net. Actualy fun to see again.
    But depending on the audience you want to attract, the sight may or may not be inviting to them.
    If you are trying to attract a wide audience, I would try getting some new ideas for the design. Ease it up a bit. There are a lot of sites on the net giving great advice on page layout. Try google.

Good luck.
    Regards
    misterBee
    <please use your signature for links>
    Last edited by Varelse; May 5, 2006 at 02:58.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site would have been cutting edge in 1992. Things have progressed... but it is a great first effort!

Personally, if you're going to have mainly text, I would consider using a white background with dark text, instead of the green on black. As it is, it's quite difficult to read.

I think you've got your links well categorised, which is important for a site with so many links. And it looks as if you've got a decent amount of useful information, so it's just a matter of making it look prettier! Try looking around at sites in your niche for inspiration. Don't copy them, just look at how they structure their navigation and what sort of colour schemes (for text) they're using.
    Free Photoblogs
    Get your own free photoblog with subdomain address

SitePoint Enthusiast LobsterMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice first site (my first site looked worse) but it's pretty hard to read and navigate, and the color scheme just makes it worse, oh and all those buttons and stuff...
    Also, the dialog that appears when leaving the page is a bit annoying, and it's not the king of thing sites do anymore, cause it's quite annoying.
    I'd suggest you look into books and articles about usability, the first goal of the site (before adding a fancy design and nifty graphics) is to be useable. you can find dome stuff at Jacob Nielsen's Site which, as you can see, doesn't have a fancy design, but is pretty useable. (OK, I admit he is an extreme to that side, but he has some good points)

~Joe

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Nice try. I found it a little hard to look at. A bit hard on the eyes. I think you'll need a bit more original content. Maybe you'll have to write a few original articles and create a few more pages. Anyway. Best of luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly to me it just seems like another one of those pages about making money that are really just a barrage of links that when you click on them 9 more pages open and someone is making money on the leads. For me personally, I wouldn't take the time to follow most of your links, nor scroll to the bottom of the page and read everything.
    That's just my two cents.

~Design Contests Freak~ khuldun's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the first look the website looks like an alien website, with black and green as the only colors, the fonts arnt that great and the use of big grpahics makes it look like a kids website. I suggest you go through the web design forum and also visit many other websites for a good overview. But considernig you are new to this thing, its a pretty good start, mine wasnt worth telling
    TutorialDEN - Free Photoshop, CSS, Flash, PHP tutorials

PoetryLovePoems - Classic & Modern Romantic Love Poems

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The black and green really bugs me and makes the site hard to read. Also, I don't like the fact that you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to really get to the "meat" of the content. When you do get to the meat it's a lot of unbroken paragraphs and thick information. And the page is too long. Break it up into smaller pages so people don't have to scroll forever.

The logo at the top is too big and distracting. It seems kind of gaudy.

Finally, the navigation may be nice, but users tend to just frantically look around and click onthe first thing that looks apealing. If it was me, I'd try to click on one of those dollar sign buttons and that just opens a new window of the same site. Very confusing to a user.

The things I do like are the three columns and that's honestly about it. Too busy, too different, and too long. Try again with something less flashy and more plain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe there are way too much text in the first page. I feel lost already by just looking at the first page. The first impression I had is the leave the site as soon as possible, it was too confusing and too much information being hit into my brain. I know this is a bit negative, but it's just my opinion. What I would do is add some nice graphics with a white background.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by sarcastik
    A site like this is particularly hard to review only because you may or may not posses the technical skill to impliment the changes people have in mind. I think it also to review at your skill level so I suppose if you really hadn't touched a computer in your life before six months ago (which I don't even think is possible in 2006). Then this the best site ever...lol. I mean, having to conceptualize everything having to do with computers in 6 months is something most people couldn't relate to. The site needs a lot of work. In terms of the aspects you mentioned the site very well could be useful, but the layout and feel turns off the viewer so much that this usefulness is very much hindered. Overall the site just makes you want to leave and go to yahoo. The black background definitly needs to go. You need to use warm, inviting colors when building sites like this. The moving gif images are cheesy and their "coolness" factor went out in 96. You also need to organize the site in such a way that doesn't require so much downward scrolling. Organize everything in catigories so the user can quickly find what he or she needs without having to try and search for it on such a cluttered homepage. The gold dropdown buttons appear blank until you roll over them which can be confusing. Im not sure if you did this on purpose, but you should definitly make them viewable instantly when the site loads. The extreme cash site graphic you have, which is really your logo, is all the way at the bottom of the page almost and you don't really have a graphic at the top. So I would move it, or a similar graphic to the top, I know this is a lot, cause it needs a lot of work, but overall I would say work on making it look INVITING, ORGANIZATION, and PROFESSIONALISM.
    I think you really took the time to get into the details of my site...which I respect highly and thank you.

I swear that I have never touched a computer up untill 6 months ago so I'm far behind as far as what's available to me as a beginner and I greatly appreciate your honesty on this and I have much more to learn and take into consideration....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, considering that you only touched a computer 6 months ago, the fact that you were even able to put together a website at all is a really great effort!

You might want to check out a site like www.oswd.org for templates and design inspiration. I've found that the best way to learn is to use open-source material and pull it apart to see how it works. Then customise it to your needs (giving credit where credit is due) and put it together.

Also, reading through the threads in the Sitepoint forum will give you a fantastic education in web design and development.
    Free Photoblogs
    Get your own free photoblog with subdomain address

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you need to change the colors background to match....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Musicbox
    you need to change the colors background to match....
    I'm not quite understanding the meaning behind what your suggesting....please clarify!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learned 2 very valuable things from this thread

Jacob Nielsen is amazing, I can't believe I didn't know who he was until I read this thread, so thank you for suggesting his name and company!
    I also didn't know about www.oswd.org which is a great reference.
    Extremecash, good luck with your site. Your Alexa ranking is pretty good for just starting out (much better than mine) so keep at it!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm i dont like this site. The color scheme, and texts must be edited.
    I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I just got this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i always had dark sites for spam, pr0n and that kinda crap..

maybe i'll suggest you to make a design in ps, not in dw

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I can't hold it anymore, the man/icon up in the right corner is kind of disturbing.

I am curious why no one has said the biggest issue with this site, and no laughing...there isn't any content, the first rule of a good site ? Is that just completely stating the obvious? All the good, serious professionals doing this for a living steadily (which is what E seems to want to do), have major content sites first, graphics second. Extreme Cash, find some good articles to put in the middle, write some content that keeps your audience longer than just clicking a link and going away. Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is much better than I am beginner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by edithomevideo
    Jacob Nielsen is amazing, I can't believe I didn't know who he was until I read this thread, so thank you for suggesting his name and company!
    I also didn't know about www.oswd.org which is a great reference.
    Extremecash, good luck with your site. Your Alexa ranking is pretty good for just starting out (much better than mine) so keep at it!
    I'm very happy that you approve...everything that I have done to get to this point is featured on my website. It might just look like a bunch of links but there is a method behind my madness.
    Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by edithomevideo
    Okay I can't hold it anymore, the man/icon up in the right corner is kind of disturbing.

I am curious why no one has said the biggest issue with this site, and no laughing...there isn't any content, the first rule of a good site ? Is that just completely stating the obvious? All the good, serious professionals doing this for a living steadily (which is what E seems to want to do), have major content sites first, graphics second. Extreme Cash, find some good articles to put in the middle, write some content that keeps your audience longer than just clicking a link and going away. Good luck!
    I must say that I had a ton of great content on the home page and recieved complaints that the vertical scrolling was way to much so I put all my content into a seperate page called "members access". The current content on the home page consists of keywords and also pertains to my meta tag description which in ? is an SEO please do....in the experimental stages of my website you learn sooo much about how opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone WILL have a different opinion....more content will be added to the site in the near future and keep in mind that not everyone is a follower and some are trend setters!
    Thanks for the critique

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you've only been using a computer for 6 months, I'll give you credit for beign able to put up a site. Now, focus on learning design. Along with reading the examples on Jacob Neilson's site, I'd suggest going to some web template sites and look arounf there for better ideas as to what good design should look like. At least this will help you see a better variety of good design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face No Problem!

Quote Originally Posted by linkin99
    Since you've only been using a computer for 6 months, I'll give you credit for beign able to put up a site. Now, focus on learning design. Along with reading the examples on Jacob Neilson's site, I'd suggest going to some web template sites and look arounf there for better ideas as to what good design should look like. At least this will help you see a better variety of good design.
    I will do just that!...I have seen many sites in the past year and maybe I'm trying to be too creative but I feel that the usefulness and simplicity of a site will counter act anything else...but I will definitely look a little deeper into design options.
    Thanks for the critique,
    Cheers