SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topica list owners - how have you been doing recently?

My list of newsletter subscribers has reached a halt. I can't make it past the 2100 and something subscribers. The standstill has been going on for some months now and I am getting new traffic all the time.

I've been thinking it might be Topica's new sign-up process which makes the user go through several pages where s/he is asked to sign up for other lists (and the continue button is hidden way under everything).

What do other Topica list owners experience?
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used topica for a large number of subscribers (over 100) but I know that a number of people have discontinued their use of topica since they went to double opt-in. Not just because it's double, but also because it is so hard to use. It was a long time ago though (some months, as you said).
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has happened to me plenty of times and I only have a 200 subscribers list.
    Just send them an e-mail telling them about the problem, using the feedback form in My Topica.
    It got back to me in 24 hours and said that they don't know what the problem is but since I have received that e-mail subscribtions were back to normal, again.
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting... I'll give it a try - doesn't hurt. Thanks!
    Follow me on Twitter
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a Topica member, as well, and since they started disallowing you to add subscribers without getting their confirmation, I have been affected. Things are going all right, but my subscriber rate is not going through the roof or anything - I assume because of the same reasons as Anat. On the positive side, they help promote my list (it's one of the sports lists in the sports section), so I will probably continue to use them.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc, how many new subscribers has their listing resulted in? The extra subscribers they send you may not be worth the subscribers you lose because of the extended process.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually,
    I think that's an excellent feature -- not being allowed to add subscribers without getting their confirmation.
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote them and they say it must be that I get about a dozen new subscribers every week while at the same time about the same number of people unsubscribe. That's why the list doesn't grow. They can't prove that as they don't track how many people unsubscribe.

I guess that is possible, only it's strange because the newsletter hasn't changed and I can't see why so many people would unsubscribe all of the sudden
    Follow me on Twitter
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Bucur David
    Actually,
    I think that's an excellent feature -- not being allowed to add subscribers without getting their confirmation.
    Well, if you don't abuse it, it isn't a bad feature. And when this feature was possible, every subscriber added would get an e-mail notification and they would be able to unsubscribe.

Anat, I'm sorry to hear your troubles. Anyone know how to determine how many unsubscriptions you are getting?

Ryan, my list has 1,100 subscribers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only currently have one active list on topica and most of the users that were signing up (about 20 or so a day) stopped signing up, I get maybe 1 a day now, sometimes I go a week without a signup... Topica has also made it hard for me to keep subscribers and I've lost several of them, because they believe that because they joined my list they are getting a lot of spam, because of those stupid lists that Topica has the users signup for before they can join yours...