SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Stuff to Sell?

Just wanted to know what peoples online experiences have been with ecommerce sites on the internet. Any unexpected trends, or well selling products, that you are willing to give your secret upto. I notice some fields are saterated (hosting) but by no means is the internet not producing sales.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything that is a niche product and hard to find locally is a good thing to sell online.

For the most part people will go to local stores to do their shopping, so if you sell something that they can get locally they won't buy it online.

There are exceptions, if you have good prices and selection (amazon.com) then you can do good selling such things. But otherwise you'll be relying on the convenience factor of shopping online to drive all your sales.

The rare, the antique, the unusual, sell these.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good business opportunity sites are lacking. I'm in the field and people appreciate it when they can find a legitimate biz opp instead of the MLM's and cookie-cutter sites.

Focus on a specific biz opp and not a directory.

You may want to find a good business op. that no one really knows about and has some potential and go from their. You will be rewarded.

Good luck,
    Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had great success with my part time job that I do. I don't sell it online yet, but I'm going to be bringing it online... as that's what I intended to do with it. I have about 17 manufacturers that supply products to me, and 2 wholesalers that do, because I'm a registered merchandise reseller and wholesaler, so I can get some really awesome prices on products produced in sweat shops, which I have no problem with, because I'm helping them raise their standard of living, so I'm doing good by supporting them.. But anyway, I sell this stuff, and have about 22 stores in my area that I supply. They just submit orders to me through email from my catalog that I had professionally put together and now I get quite a few orders everyday... pretty profitable, I have anywhere from a 50% to 95% direct margin on all of the items that I sell... so it's pretty wicked... even selling it wholesale I do good. The products are all gift items for the most part, but I always have deals where I can get batteries, clocks, jewelry, and things like that as well, quite cheap through one of my wholesalers... so that's cool... once the site is setup, I'll post it for everyone to see...

Bumper stickers sell extremely well online as well... I used to see them from one of my sites and I would sell about 20 of them a week from a fairly low traffic site.