0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    O M G, that's all I can say

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That said, it should come as no surprise that this Borax-technology has also empowered "certain programmers" to create new perversions in information technology never imagined before. Gustavo Carvalho discovered what happens when XMLHttpRequest and the Eval() function in PHP are combined. I'll leave it to your immagination as to what the server-side looks like ...
    quote off that forum.. dont make much sense.. doesnt matter if its called using XMLHttpRequest or not it's just bad code in general. Theres nothing wrong with XMLHttpRequest and web 2.0 that person just doesn't know how to code properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hennagaijin
    Vanilla had the best code I found - actually quite sophisticated and clean compared to the alternatives - but too much of the presentation/design was essentially hard-coded and excessively difficult to change. Had the author gone with a more traditional templating approach, it'd be a lot stronger of an option, IMO.
    Vanilla is in the final stages of releasing V 1.0 which includes a new (and much-requested) templating system.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no comments for the whole topic.
    Design to WordPress
    Free powerful and user-friendly control panel included.
    PM me for 10% refund discount on your first order.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the few systems I've found that's completely object oriented is MyTopix. It's going under a complete overhaul, but for the first release, it's some pretty nice code.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Haris
    I have no comments for the whole topic.
    Ha! That's a great reply. That is really funny.

When I saw that code (posted in this thread), I realized that while I was looking at it, I felt disturbed and depressed. Like a true sadness. Then I had to slap and shake my face then I said aloud, "It's not my code. Just relax. It's not your fault". And took a deep breath. I'm not kidding either.

Maybe build your own? If you have the time that is. What are your requirements?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your comments about vBulletin are highly unjustified. The latest version uses a lot of OOP concepts, although it does utilise it fully, their APIs make a lot of things easier The forum software itself is well designed and is easy to modify, and just because it's not all OOP'd doesn't mean it's bad. And so what if it uses a global here and there.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like PunBB because it is nice and simple.

Has anyone tried Vanilla (http://www.getvanilla.com/), I have heard it is quite nice, but I have never had time to give it a go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C
    Your comments about vBulletin are highly unjustified. The latest version uses a lot of OOP concepts, although it does utilise it fully, their APIs make a lot of things easier The forum software itself is well designed and is easy to modify, and just because it's not all OOP'd doesn't mean it's bad. And so what if it uses a global here and there.
    I was going to say something similar. vBulletin is a great product and its current version does impliment a lot of OOP, but not full oop. They still have to support php 4 as a lot of thier clients still dont have php5. It will get there eventually though, which is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I started creating my own forums.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open-source developers tend to over complicate code all the time. osCommerce is the best example of this. I think once you find PHP5 and MYSQL 5 (stored procedures and triggers so you can push functionality down to the database layer) finally released you will see alot of improvements with OS applications.

Also with PHP5 and DOM we are already seeing alot of possibilities that were not present in previous versions. I might also add that I think AJAX is also highly over-rated and nothing but an insecure, and very easy to break mess. I use compiled .swf files to do all my live data sites as its alot more secure and allows even greater functionality and compatibility then AJAX.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwms
    Rather than just looking at the code has anyone looked at the database design of these forums?
    a while ago i was trying to create an ecommerce site for someone, and i didn't want it to take forever, so i took a look at some free apps. unfortunately i found oscommerce...i was barely getting the hang of OOP, but i could still tell that app was complete garbage. For example, on the shopping cart, everytime you added a new item, it took 20 more database queries to load that page. With just 5 items in my shopping cart, i was up to 116 mysql queries just to display the page, not even perform an action. i'm not sure if this was bad design of the code or the database (probably a combination of both), but this alone convinced me OSCommerce was a horrible program. definitely not a place to look if you're tryin to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like PunBB for it's simplicity on the outside. I'll certainly be taking a closer look at MyTopix. I don't really like the look and feel of Vanilla, but perhaps I'll have a gander when the new version with improved templating is released.

What about FUDforum? With a PHP coredev on board, it's got to have something going for it under the hood.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dotDan
    One of the few systems I've found that's completely object oriented is MyTopix.
    Not sure I have much faith in a company whose website is broken. Every link on that page goes to that page!
    Zealotry is contingent upon 100 posts and addiction 200?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's due to some server problems they recently had:
    http://www.foruminsider.com/forums/i...showtopic=1508

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serberus
    this is just a sample from index.php:

PHP Code:

$sql 
    "select * from $tb_users    where id = '$random_id[$i]'";

$img_src '';

$query mysql_query($sql) or die($sql);

$array mysql_fetch_array($query); 
    Brilliant.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C
    You can't have "almost OOP". It is or it isn't. If it uses just one global variable, then they've dropped the ball somewhere. Trying to mix OOP and procedural produces a worse result that sticking to plain old procedural.

I've got a lot of experience building "addons" (read: hacks) for vB and don't intend to ever again if I can avoid it.

Re: fudforum, code like this turned me right away
    Code:
    /* this should allow path_info & normal themes to work properly within 1 forum */
    	if ($o2 & 32768 && !($u->theme_opt & 4)) {
    		$o2 ^= 32768;
    	}
    Wormly Server Performance Monitoring
    Don't wait for an SMS at 4am. Find out what's really
    going on and fix the problem. www.wormly.com/website-monitoring

Scary's On The Wall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by z0s0
    Trying to mix OOP and procedural produces a worse result that sticking to plain old procedural.
    I disagree. Even if you don't program entirely in OOP, you can make handy use of object oriented classes to improve both the programming end and the front end.

On the other hand, could someone link to some A++ PHP software that is OOP? I've been under the impression for quite some time that phpbb was a relatively "good" application, design-wise, and hearing otherwise is making me curious for the otherwise.

SitePoint Evangelist CapitalWebHost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a lot of postering in this thread...most of i comes of as primadonna type of code bashing.

Instead of just bashing code ramdomly, why not explain to others reading this thread that are not "God Gifted Programmer" why the code is bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "why use OOP" discussion has been done to death and is not relevant to this thread.

Back on topic - I'm looking for recommendations of forum software that does not suck from a software design point of view.

I'm not interested in discussing the peripheral issues.
    Wormly Server Performance Monitoring
    Don't wait for an SMS at 4am. Find out what's really
    going on and fix the problem. www.wormly.com/website-monitoring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again just slightly off topic, but more on topic than a general OOP discussion. I went to a presentation by one of the developers of Xradar (http://xradar.sourceforge.net/). This tool measures the quality of code using various heuristics implemented mostly (I think) by other open source tools. It produces graphical presentations with the overall quality of various modules color-coded.

It's for Java, so those of us who work in proletarian languages like PHP can only drool. One use for it he mentioned was to motivate refactoring projects to the tune of one million Norwegian kroner (about $150,000). He also suggested that anyone interested might like to run it on some open source projects and publish the results. If we had something similar for PHP, it might motivate developers to produce better code.
    Dagfinn Reiersøl
    PHP in Action / Blog / Twitter
    "Making the impossible possible, the possible easy,
    and the easy elegant"
    -- Moshe Feldenkrais

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all of these PHP products fill a void / gap in a market, they enable THOUSANDS of sites to function and function well

take a look at those myspace scripts, 1 took me an hour to install because of the way it was coded, the other is just very basic with a nice design.

but these sites with traffic and revenue reap massive money

do you think that if you can produce a half ****'d application and makes thousands that ANY of the developers of these give 2 donkeys balls as to weather their code is OOP or not, then your wrong.

its nice to have a perfectly coded system sometimes, but really and truly, without these STAPLES of the web that make sites sticky. there really wouldnt be much on the web

Just think of the THOUSANDS of sites running phpnuke - the hundreds running i-rater. the thousands running vbulletin, phpbb SMF, XMB , hell any forum software

charge or no charge they make the web what it is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionsiseire
    its nice to have a perfectly coded system sometimes, but really and truly, without these STAPLES of the web that make sites sticky. there really wouldnt be much on the web
    I agree with you. To me, the point is not to argue with unarguable success. And if you can use something out of the box, you may not have to worry too much about code quality.

But if you want something you can play with and modify yourself without getting stuck in endless debugging, that's a different matter.

It's pretty paradoxical sometimes. The Norwegian "forum for agile development" that was involved in the Xradar presentation I mentioned, has phpBB on its home page.

(http://www.smidig.no/forum )

SitePoint Wizard Pedro Monteiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are alternatives outhere.

http://www.pmachine.com/forums/