SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynamic URL str_replace

I'm working on a PHP script that displays breadcrumbs-type top navigation links. It works OK for the most part, but there's one bug I can't figure out how to fix. Links to the home pages of various sections are displayed twice instead of once. For example, what should be http://MySite/People is http://MySite/People/People.

The following fix works by removing the second instance of People:

PHP Code:
    echo "<a href=\"/People/".str_replace('People'''$mypath[$i])."\"> ".str_replace('_'' '$mypath[$i])."</a>&nbsp;&gt;"
    But it's a sloppy fix in that it will presumably remove ALL instances of People; what if I want to link to http://MySite/People/Rich_People? I'd be left with MySite/People/Rich_. Instead, I simply want to replace instances of People/People with People.

I thought the following might work if I could somehow wrap the entire URL - including the prefix /People/ - inside it:

str_replace('People/People', 'People/', [STRING TO BE REPLACED])

But I can't figure out how to implement it. Can anyone show me how to write it, or suggest a better idea?

Thanks.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming the code snippet you gave is what you're actually using, there's only one People/ in the input where two appear as the other People/ in the URL comes from your echo statement.

So, you only want to replace one instance of People/, not People/People:

PHP Code:
    echo "<a href=\"/People/" str_replace('People/'''$mypath[$i]) . "\"> " str_replace('_'' '$mypath[$i]) . "</a>&nbsp;&gt;"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you're trying to do, but it doesn't work for me for some reason. This does work

PHP Code:
    echo "<a href=\"/People/".str_replace('People'''$mypath[$i])."\">

// etc.
     "
    .str_replace('_'' '$mypath[$i])."</a>&nbsp;&gt;"
    This does work...

<a href=\"/People/".str_replace('People', '', $mypath[$i])."\">

...but not if the second instance of "People" is preceded or followed by a slash. Again, that might suffice for the time being, but I won't be able to add any links that contain the word "People" unless I can somehow zap only "People/People."

But another idea just popped into my head...Suppose I convert my link to a variable - something like this:

PHP Code:
    $Link '<a href=\"/People/".str_replace('People', '', $mypath[$i])."\">'
    Then I could replace my display with this, right?:

str_replace('People/People', 'People', $Link);

Can anyone show me how to write that? I'm working on it right now, but I think it's going to be a wrestling match.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I wrote is tested:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $string 
    "People/Test";
    echo 
    $string "<br />";
    echo 
    str_replace('People/'''$string);
    ?>
    Output:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://v3.w3counter.com/sptest/str.php
    People/Test
    Test
    Yes, what you wrote will work, so will what's already been written.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm...I'll have to take a closer look and see what I'm doing wrong. In the meantime, I figured out how to wrap the entire thing in a str_replace function:

PHP Code:
    $AAA '<a href="/People/'.$mypath[$i].'">';

echo 
    "".str_replace('People/People''People/'$AAA)." ".str_replace('_'' '$mypath[$i])."</a>&nbsp;&gt;"
    I'll have to do some more testing, but it seems to work OK. Thanks for the tips and the link.