SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Security Feature

Hm. I implemented a new feature, in which checks a users current IP address and checks it with the IP address in which they current were using when logging in.

For example, if I logged in with the IP address 0.0.0.0, it is saved in the database. However, on every page I confirm that the IP Address saved in the Database is the same as the current IP address.

The problem is, only about 5 persons are reporting that they are constantly and randomly being kicked off - Their current IP address isn't matching the one logged. HOWEVER their IP logs are not changing (so it's not like thier Dynamic IP is changing every page). So I am confused what is going on. They are not using a Proxy (which is the reason I implemented this feature).

This is for a game, in which people are using proxies to send items to their multiple accounts, etc. So by having this feature, it prevents them from using a proxy. I rather not have to use a Update query everytime they load a page (to check their IP, etc) however this may be the only alternative.

Do you know any reason why this would be happening? Cheers!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If their IPs aren't changing, and you're sure of that (which you need to log the IPs compared when someone's kicked out to know), then it's a bug. And with no code provided, you'll have to debug that yourself.

Aside from that, this scheme will block legitimate users. Not all proxies are open proxies being abused. People on dialup behind "net accelerator" type programs, people using certain ISPs including some AOL and MSN users, will have some of their web requests come from their own IP and others from the ISP's proxies.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may not be understanding this completely 100% but your saying that people have to have the same IP address everytime you log in? If so what about people who have dynamic IP adresses and it changes all the time.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said that his program checks that while browsing his site, a user's IP hasn't changed since that user logged in. That's not a restriction on the IP used to log in.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes,

I was to attempt to make sure their IP address is staying consistant while logged in, and when it has changed (like from a proxy), then they need to relogin. However, there are users in which are being kicked off but their IP addresses are not changing. It's really odd. I will look into it more extensively. Bleh, I don't know.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you absolutely positive thier ip is not changing?

maybe it is, but the method you are using to check this/record it etc... is at fault.

could you post the relevant code which performs the checking/logging? maybe you made a mistake.