SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eCommerce system for large site

I'm in the process of researching the many e-commerce solutions / shopping carts that are available and I'd love to get some feedback and see if anyone knows of a system that could meet these requirements.

Price range: $0-1000. This is a company with a variety of product lines and a variety of categories/products within each product line. There are over 10,000 products in total. The site will run on a UNIX platform, so I suppose I'd prefer php/mysql though I'd be open to other options provided they are secure, fast, and reliable. So, the features I'm looking for are as follows:

1. Completely customizable and template driven
    2. Support for multiple stores/product-lines (this could potentially be as simple as an unlimited number of categories and sub-categories)
    3. Ability to import product databases either through excel or tab/comma delimited files
    4. Ability to manually modify the display sequence of products within each category
    5. Upsell ability - ie people who purchased this item also liked...
    6. Support for multiple pricing levels - ie dealers get certain prices, customers get other price. Even better would be to have unlimited pricing levels, as this company has 3 levels of dealer-based pricing depending on how much volume the dealer sells.

If anyone has had experience managing a large eCommerce site and has any recommendations as to a robust shopping cart fitting the above requirements, please let me know. Thanks!
    Brian Farkas
    InterSurge, LLC :: Seriously Fun Hosting (tm)
    http://www.intersurge.com/

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say large site, what sort of volume estimates (i.e. orders per day) are you anticipating?
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to say - perhaps 10-20 orders a day... Not that it will be an extremely high traffic site, just that the particular company has a lot of products and product lines.
    Brian Farkas

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When it comes to shopping carts there is not much of a difference between handling 10 items and 10,000 items. Dynamic tools like shopping carts can handle work in such a way that the number of items becomes irrelevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, I suppose size would not be much of an issue if the software was efficiently programmed - do you know of any specific ones that meet the requirements I mentioned, especially # 4-6? Thanks a lot.
    Brian Farkas

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)