User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snitz 2000 Forum

Hi guys,

Does anyone here have experience with using and installing Snitz 2000 Forum app. for ASP?

I'm having a problem in installing the package... I'm running on PWS, on WinME. When I parse the setup.asp file in IE, it gives me an error saying that:

"The database could not be opened !!
    Check your config.asp file and set the
    strConnString so it points to the database.
    Also check if strDBType is set to the right databasetype.

Code : 80004005"

I have tried linking the forum to mySQL and Access 2000 with no success. A previous forum package running on PHP with mySQL worked fine.

Any ideas on what my error is?

Thanks!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strangley enough I kept getting a very similar error. I know this doesn't really help you or answer your question but I got so annoyed that I decided to use PHPBB instead and I am loving it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it has something to do with PWS. It might not contain certain things as it's only PWS . Thats just a guess though. Check it out on www.brinkster.com or .net not sure cant remember. They have free ASP hosting, so do www.cfm-resources.com
    Back Again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has something to do with one of the mapped paths I believe. I had the same problem when I installed, but I just changed one of the config paths in one of the included files and it worked.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my site, well actually many of my sites, run snitz forums. The problem you came across has happened to me a few times. When it happens, it's from having the database connection string in config.asp done incorrectly. Be sure to notice that there are two places you have to edit in that file, one for database type and one for the connection string itself. I don't remember exactly, but i think if you run into this error, your best bet is to delete the whole lot, including your database and then try it again.

Hope that helps.
    ::::::: Lutter Interactive, LLC ::.
    -: Web Design -:- Programming -:- Consulting :-
    http://www.lutterinteractive.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MxTxL
    Yeah, my site, well actually many of my sites, run snitz forums. The problem you came across has happened to me a few times. When it happens, it's from having the database connection string in config.asp done incorrectly. Be sure to notice that there are two places you have to edit in that file, one for database type and one for the connection string itself. I don't remember exactly, but i think if you run into this error, your best bet is to delete the whole lot, including your database and then try it again.

Hope that helps.
    Hmmm... I sort of had a hunch the darned problem was in the config.asp file. Unfortunately, I can't the Snitz site is down.

Could you copy and paste the config lines in your system over here? I know it ain't the same... but it would be great if I could have a look...

Also, are you guys using Access or mySQL mostly?

Additional note: I've already changed the config lines to point to a new database (mySQL).... to no avail!
    Last edited by infinitium; Oct 21, 2001 at 21:26.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody have any input on this issue? Thanks!

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by infinitium
    Anybody have any input on this issue? Thanks!
    You would need to change this line in config.asp:

strConnString = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=c:\inetpub\dbroot\snitz_forums_2000.mdb" '## MS Access 97

And set c:\inetpub\dbroot\snitz_forums_2000.mdb to the EXACT path to your database.

As for Snitz being down, the host had a TOTAL hardware failure, and the site is being transferred over to a new host (though the latest good backup was about a month old, so a lot of posts were lost). Once the host transfer travels through the DNS system, it should be back up and running. Those of us that frequent Snitz certainly have missed it. It would be like if sitepoint went down for a couple weeks. Withdrawal symptoms start to set in....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave,

I did just that, and I STILL get the darned "unable to connect to database" error. There's an error code that comes with it, but I can't seem to find the reference for that code anywhere in the Snitz package.

What do I do now? Grr... my VBulletin forum running on PHP never had so many problems.....

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Version are of Snitz are you running?

I have heard that 3.3.x (the latest non-beta revision) had some set up problems.

I run an older version with no probs.
    Steve 'Hendo' Henderson
    EnVivo!CS: Fast and Affordable Web Content Management for ASP. 100% Script, No DLLs.
    www.netsystemsco.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those of us that frequent Snitz certainly have missed it. It would be like if sitepoint went down for a couple weeks. Withdrawal symptoms start to set in....
    Id had snitz sitting on my HD for months, from an old site i was working on, i just started a new site and was looking for a hack for it... only the site is down so i cant find one.... GRrrr @ hardware going snap crackle n pop!!!

may not be a snitz addict, but its still annoying me!!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the help guys! I managed to troubleshoot the problem successfully... just reinstalled PWS, and relinked my mySQL to the proper paths.. and now it works!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record

The snitz site is back up. They have lost a couple week's posts or so, but at least they are back up and running. They have hundreds of hacks (or mods, if you prefer) and a very supportive community. If anyone is having trouble with their snitz forum, that is definately the place to go.

Ok, just looked to get the URL to post, but it seems that they are back down again. So, nevermind... but when they are back up and running, check them out.
    ::::::: Lutter Interactive, LLC ::.
    -: Web Design -:- Programming -:- Consulting :-
    http://www.lutterinteractive.com

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The migration to the new host is complete. Snitz is live again....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse