MacBook Air

So, what does everyone think?

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose if you prefer portable over power then it might be fine.
    I carry my Inspiron E1705 around which is by no means a light weight buts its far lighter then some of the books I have to carry. So I don't see the appeal of having a super light weight notebook beside the fact it would fit in my notebook backpack...
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    I suppose if you prefer portable over power then it might be fine.
    I carry my Inspiron E1705 around which is by no means a light weight buts its far lighter then some of the books I have to carry. So I don't see the appeal of having a super light weight notebook beside the fact it would fit in my notebook backpack...
    Well, for me, I already have a primary computer so a secondary, lightweight companion for it kind of makes sense. I travel heavily and in the past have had to carry two notebooks at 5+ lbs. each, which was a real pain.

My thought is, power and laptop are not two things that are necessarily synonymous with each other. If people want high power, they can go with a desktop.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I curious to why you needed to carry two notebooks for.

One can get high power with a notebook/laptop mine isn't bad alows me to run two memory intensive programs (Second Life / Photoshop CS3) at the same time without issue and play most games at the highest settings (Only if I don't run them at my screens make size of 1920x1200 x.x)

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People buy Macs because they are 'cool', regardless of what they say! So, by that logic the new Mac is pretty cool and will sell. I would love a super-light computer but I need much more functionality so I will stick with the heavy, but reliable Dell.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's going to appeal to a lot of people. It's obviously extremely tiny and lightweight, and there are plenty of people who would love to shave off every pound they can. Even my MacBook gets a bit big when I'm lugging it around an airport all day.

With that said, I don't think it's going to supersede the MacBook any time soon. If you're not looking for ultra portability, it is fairly pricey. Compared to other ultraportables it's apparently a steal, but it's not for everyone.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    Hmm I curious to why you needed to carry two notebooks for.

One can get high power with a notebook/laptop mine isn't bad alows me to run two memory intensive programs (Second Life / Photoshop CS3) at the same time without issue and play most games at the highest settings (Only if I don't run them at my screens make size of 1920x1200 x.x)
    Let me rephrase, I don't think laptops necessarily have to be high powered to be useful. We use laptops because they're mobile, not necessarily because they are fast.

I use two laptops for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which being, one of the ones I carry is company issued and I am required to carry it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    People buy Macs because they are 'cool', regardless of what they say! So, by that logic the new Mac is pretty cool and will sell. I would love a super-light computer but I need much more functionality so I will stick with the heavy, but reliable Dell.
    I am not going to get into the "everyone who owns a Mac is a fanboy" discussion because I think it's ludicrous for one (as I've used a Mac on and off since I was 12) and the other is, there are just as many people who are Windows fanboys.

However, I will say that there are a few things with the MacBook Air that do not appeal to me, the biggest being the battery. Since it is not replaceable by the purchaser, once the battery life dwindles it will have to be taken to an Apple Store or sent in to be replaced.

I'm also a little taken aback by the single USB port. That's discouraging.

If I need to work on a spreadsheet, presentation, etc. while traveling this would be fantastic, heck, I could even do some programming. I would stick with using my desktop as my main machine for more "functionality".

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann View Post
    However, I will say that there are a few things with the MacBook Air that do not appeal to me, the biggest being the battery. Since it is not replaceable by the purchaser, once the battery life dwindles it will have to be taken to an Apple Store or sent in to be replaced.
    Are you serious? ...Okay I'm not that shocked Apple has a real problem with making devices with user replaceable batteries. The most important part of any portable device the one major part Apple has yet to understand.

But thats a real deal breaker for me with how much I use the battery on my laptop I need more then one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm too clumsy to have such a thin notebook so I'm sticking with the regular and sturdy plastic macbook.

I do think Apple has nailed a lot of what you'll be seeing in future laptops (SSD, no optical drive in favor of web content and externals, LED backlit display) but the form factor puts this squarely in business traveler land where people pay a premium for portability. Nothing wrong with that though since it's a VERY profitable niche to be in, look at previous attempts in the same class like the Sony vaio TZ and the oqo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing
    People buy Macs because they are 'cool', regardless of what they say!
    I buy them to start flamewars on the internet

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^

FWIW, it seems a fancy sales type/Vaio, but the form factor, for the city, is very appealing to me.

I would try not to buy first gen Apple hardware because of the manufacturing issues that crop up and are later ironed out and the price dropping a lot as the device improves - that said if you are competing with your neighbor, it wouldn't hurt to have one today, but waiting a gen almost always makes more sense with Cupertino.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Updated battery info: batteries cost $129, Apple will install for free. To put it into perspective, my regular macbook battery is the same price at retail.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/15/m...-free-install/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching the keynote, I'll (again) iterate that it's not quite for everyone. Case in point: the lack of a local optical drive, the lack of Firewire, only one USB port, and no audio in. With that said, if you're on the road the vast majority of situations you're in won't require any of those features. With Remote Disc, it's pretty clear that if you're looking for a second (or third) Mac, the Air would be a pretty solid choice. But if you're looking for a primary machine, the Pro or the straight MacBook would be a much better choice if you're not as uppity about size.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm absolute Mac lover and I find this new MacBook Air extremely sexy, sleek, and - by the looks of it - ultra portable. A thing of beauty.
    And while it does look tempting visually, there is too little horsepower in it for my taste. My workstation is a Mac Pro and I have a white MacBook for my currently few-and-far-between portable needs. I don't mind paying good money for the Mac Pros or the MacBook Pro, but this one is too expensive and offers too little value for me.

Other than that, nice and slick.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a beautiful computer, that's for sure! As a user of a MacBook Pro, it's definitely appealing. If I had a desktop Mac at the office, I'd love to have one. But it just won't work as my primary computer.

I can't wait to go to the Apple Store and play with it though. I just might have to buy one (eventually) for personal use. I think it would make for a great writing, coding, travel laptop. I just have to talk the boss man into trading in this old MBP for a desktop... maybe with a cinema display

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read (No Firewire, One USB Port, sealed battery, etc) I have to say that this is one of the worst products to come out of Apple in a long time. The battery simply will not last me throughout a days work whenever I am in an office or room without a power outlet. I would usually just swap out the batteries, but Apple won't let me do that with the MBA. I think I'll be sticking with my Toshiba laptop to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice, but... where are the expansion ports like a LAN jack, audio out, USB, etc.? I don't see them anywhere. I'm not blind, am I?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may look nice, but...

WILL IT BLEND?!

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    It may look nice, but...

WILL IT BLEND?!
    Hahah, that was one of my first thoughts too.

I agree entirely with logic_earth. I'd take some actual power than something like that. You could get a better laptop for half the price, it just wouldn't look as pretty or be as thin.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    My mac is pretty cool, though it's flexibility for development, it's specs, price and OS are the real reasons I bought mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fully enclosed battery... Yet another shady business practice served straight to the consumer by Apple that Apple knows it won't get in trouble for (after all, it got away with it on the iPod and the iPhone!). Shame, shame, shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most times I use my notebook only when going out to meet clients. So this would definitely score me some points If I could get my hands on one that is....
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it looks nice but depends on the usability....or the user

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Czaries View Post
    Looks nice, but... where are the expansion ports like a LAN jack, audio out, USB, etc.? I don't see them anywhere. I'm not blind, am I?
    There's audio out, a USB jack, and video out in a fold-out drawer on the right side.