SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Which framework should I use?

I have been doing some research into which framework should be used.
    There have been some articles showing 10 most used frameworks, but I frankly do not believe those " advertisements ".

So I am asking you -> in your opinion which framework is the one I should look into and use for my new project. Which framwork is more likely to take over?

I saw that Zend has come out with their framework. I looked into Seagul also and a few others based on Ruby on Rails.

Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you mean this article?

I check them some time ago. Zoop and Symfony are most close to ideal for me. Finaly I was stoped on Symfony Project. Unfortunly it have no inbuilt template engine. But you can integrate it yourself if you want.

Regarding Zend Framework - may be good solution is in integrating Zend with Smarty, Propel and eZ Components but without this integration IMHO it is not more usefull then Zoop or Symfony.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Symfony lover. Been using lots of framework, almost every new project a new framework, I got rest when I met Symfony.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you're looking for really. Your saying; "Which framwork is more likely to take over?", which suggests that the main quality of a framework is standardization. This is one aspect, but there can be other resons behind choosing a framework.
    If security and a large community is in fact your greatest concern, you should of course go for the big ones. Zend is without doubt going to be the one sooner or later, but I would guess that thoose which already have established themselves are going to last for at least some years, which is an eternity in this business. Zend is also probably going to be a while before it reaches a state of maturity that makes it usable.
    I suggest you take a look at the big ones. Off the top of my head - Seagull, Mojavi, WACT, PRADO and Symfony. I don't have much faith in the RoR-ports, but that may just be me. Bottomline is that it's a subjective choice, and it depends a lot on the type of application you're going to build, so you really need to try them out for your self.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i find codeigniter lovely. Watch the blog movie and be converted. But its php4 only. I plan on using codeigniter for php4-only projects (usually hosting limitations), and zend for everything else.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at symfony and its not bad. I am just afraid that I will start using one of them and the development will slow down. This is why I was thinking of doing the Zend framwork due to the fact they they will most likely be here for a long time to come.