SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Application Builds

How do you guys handle building your PHP applications? I want to start getting into a real build system for my applications to help maintain licences of my applications that I run off my server (so that I can auto-update them all to reflect the new build), and so that I can use a build system to generate "clean" packages ready for redistribution with each version.

I know some of you have fancy systems for all this. What sorts of things do you do?

Currently I just use a bit of subversion (and not well, at that!) to help with version control, and each new version I just tar.gz off the svn tree. I'm sure there's a better way, just not sure how it would be done.

SitePoint Enthusiast NativeMind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A build system usually implies packaging and installation setup -- do you generate RPMs, a pear channel, InstallShield, or just a tar file and instructions?

You can use phing, ant, or make to run build scripts that validate the sanity of your build, run your unit test cases, generate reports, run scripts for the packaging, etc.

If your project is tied into other systems, then they will usually drive your build/delivery more than PHP. PHP is a little behind the curve in this area and most people say just copy these files into your web root and start browsing to setup the application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really all I'll likely be generating are tar files.

I'm just curious about what sorts of tools are out there (or what sorts of features are usually programmed into custom tools) to package up PHP applications.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

For tarballs I just use shell scripts. For web sites we use a perl rollout script that you first upload to the server. Pullingthe release, testing and going live or rolling back are all automatic within this script.

yours, Marcus
    Marcus Baker
    Testing: SimpleTest, Cgreen, Fakemail
    Other: Phemto dependency injector
    Books: PHP in Action, 97 things

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be a bit off-topic: I am more a database guy than developer. Just out of curiousity. Has anyone's expirience with Oracle database been positive - just looking for some feedback...

Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Enthusiast NativeMind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer to use PHP scripts rather than perl scripts for installation. After all, PHP is a good CLI tool as well