SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE asking before running scripts on my page

Hi, I am developing a site for a local condominium development, and I am running into a problem where IE is waiting to execute my javascripts until the user confirms.

This creates the layout to appear jumbled until the user confirms...

I am using the javascript so that I can take advantage of the CSS position: fixed element, is this the cause? I see other sites with javascript that are not asked to confirm...

any suggestions?

The page is here http://www.kingsleylane.com/mockup

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems for me using IE6--except the fact that it takes forever to load and therefore I would have closed out the page long before it ever completed loading. You should consider revisiting some of the basic principles of web design. Beautiful website otherwise.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

2 problems?

I think you may be experiencing 2 problems and mistakenly taking them as being 1. I don't think IE is asking for confirmation to run the javascript. I get a "page wants to use ActiveX control. Is this OK?" prompt. This is not about any javascript, but about the object tag. As a security measure, IE asks before running any ActiveX controls, in this case the flash player. (Although this may be because my IE browser's security settings are different than yours.) If the CSS is messed up in IE I think it's most likely a seperate CSS problem. I would test by temporarily commenting out the object, fixing any CSS problems, and then un-commenting the object to see how it works.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get any problems when I click on links.

I've checked this on two PCs, one with XP the other with Win98se, but in IE if I pull the scrollbar down, I can continue pulling it down once it reaches the bottom of the page and reveals white space, and the page gets bigger and bigger, as shown by the scrollbar handle/indicator thingy getting smaller and smaller.

Also.
    images that measure about 200x150px shouldn't be 58Kb in size if you want them to load faster. They should be resized in your image manipulation software. But it is a mockup, so perhaps that's your next step.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

javascript

There definately is a bug in the javascript. I suggest you either contact the author (Dean Edwards), after all, from his website http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/caveats/
    Remember this is alpha code. Iím still developing this solution, what you are looking at is work in progress. If you find a bug, report it. Chances are that it will get fixed in a future release.
    or find new javascript code (especially if you are using code written for "ie7" in browsers that are "less than ie7"). There are 4 js files in the "if less than IE ver. 7" conditoinal comment tags.
    ie7-core.js
    ie7-fixed.js
    ie7-css2-selectors.js
    ie7-css3-selectors.js
    but with code like this (a small sample from just 1 of the files and this is relatively easy to read compared to some of it)
    Code:
    IE7.addModule("ie7-fixed",function(){ie7CSS.addRecalc("position","fixed",_6,"absolute");ie7CSS.addRecalc("background(-attachment)?","[^};]*fixed",_7);var _10=(quirksMode)?"body":"documentElement";var _8=function(){if(body.currentStyle.backgroundAttachment!="fixed"){if(body.currentStyle.backgroundImage=="none"){body.runtimeStyle.backgroundRepeat="no-repeat";body.runtimeStyle.backgroundImage="url("+BLANK_GIF+")"}body.runtimeStyle.backgroundAttachment="fixed"}_8=DUMMY};var _0=createTempElement("img");function _1(f){return _2.exec(String(f))};var _2=new ParseMaster;_2.add(/Left/,"Top");_2.add(/left/,"top");_2.add(/Width/,"Height");_2.add(/width/,"height");_2.add(/right/,"bottom");_2.add(/X/,"Y");function _3(e){return(e)?isFixed(e)||_3(e.parentElement):false};function setExpression(e,p,ex){setTimeout("document.all."+e.uniqueID+".runtimeStyle.setExpression('"+p+"','"+ex+"')",0)};function _7(e){if(register(_7,e,e.currentStyle.backgroundAttachment=="fixed"&&!e.contains(body))){_8();backgroundLeft(e);backgroundTop(e);_9(e)}};function _9(e){_0.src=e.currentStyle.backgroundImage.slice(5,-2);var p=(e.canHaveChildren)?e:e.parentElement;p.appendChild(_0);setOffsetLeft(e);setOffsetTop(e);p.removeChild(_0)};function backgroundLeft(e){e.style.backgroundPositionX=e.currentStyle.backgroundPositionX;if(!_3(e)){var ex="(parseInt(runtimeStyle.offsetLeft)+document."+_10+".scrollLeft)||0";setExpression(e,"backgroundPositionX",ex)}};eval(_1(backgroundLeft));function setOffsetLeft(e){var p=_3(e)?"backgroundPositionX":"offsetLeft";e.runtimeStyle[p]=getOffsetLeft(e,e.style.backgroundPositionX)-e.getBoundingClientRect().left-e.clientLeft+2};eval(_1(setOffsetLeft));function getOffsetLeft(e,p){switch(p){case"left":case"top":return 0;case"right":case"bottom":return viewport.clientWidth-_0.offsetWidth;case"center":return(viewport.clientWidth-_0.offsetWidth)/2;default:if(PERCENT.test(p)){return parseInt((viewport.clientWidth-_0.offsetWidth)*parseFloat(p)/100)}_0.style.left=p;return _0.offsetLeft}};eval(_1(getOffsetLeft));function _6(e){if(register(_6,e,isFixed(e))){setOverrideStyle(e,"position","absolute");setOverrideStyle(e,"left",e.currentStyle.left);setOverrideStyle(e,"top",e.currentStyle.top);_8();if(ie7Layout)ie7Layout.fixRight(e);_5(e)}};function _5(e,r){positionTop(e,r);positionLeft(e,r,true);if(!e.runtimeStyle.autoLeft&&e.currentStyle.marginLeft=="auto"&&e.currentStyle.right!="auto"){var l=viewport.clientWidth-getPixelWidth(e,e.currentStyle.right)-getPixelWidth(e,e.runtimeStyle._12)-e.clientWidth;if(e.currentStyle.marginRight=="auto")l=parseInt(l/2);if(_3(e.offsetParent))e.runtimeStyle.pixelLeft+=l;else e.runtimeStyle.shiftLeft=l}clipWidth(e);clipHeight(e)};function clipWidth(e){if(e.currentStyle.width!="auto"){var r=e.getBoundingClientRect();var w=e.offsetWidth-viewport.clientWidth+r.left-2;if(w>=0){w=Math.max(getPixelValue(e,e.currentStyle.width)-w,0);setOverrideStyle(e,"width",w)}}};eval(_1(clipWidth));function positionLeft(e,r){if(!r&&PERCENT.test(e.currentStyle.width)){e.runtimeStyle.fixWidth=e.currentStyle.width}if(e.runtimeStyle.fixWidth){e.runtimeStyle.width=getPixelWidth(e,e.runtimeStyle.fixWidth)}if(r){if(!e.runtimeStyle.autoLeft)return}else{e.runtimeStyle.shiftLeft=0;e.runtimeStyle._12=e.currentStyle.left;e.runtimeStyle.autoLeft=e.currentStyle.right!="auto"&&e.currentStyle.left=="auto"}e.runtimeStyle.left="";e.runtimeStyle.screenLeft=getScreenLeft(e);e.runtimeStyle.pixelLeft=e.runtimeStyle.screenLeft;if(!r&&!_3(e.offsetParent)){var ex="runtimeStyle ... and even more !!!!
    I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone with the time and patience to trouble-shoot it for you.