SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automated pdf sales - best software?

I run a podcast in Spanish, and provide a pdf with a transcript of each podcast and a few grammar exercises, all for 1.60 us dollars. At the moment I am using lulu.com, an online publishing service to distribute the pdfs - they take the payments and automatically send out the pdf, but they also take a cut of the sale price.

Do you know of any software I can run myself, on my server, that will display the products (just needs to be text link really), allow people to buy several different pdfs at once, process the paypal payments, and, crucially, automatically send out a pdf or a pdf download link via email when the payment has been accepted?

There is a new pdf every week so obvioiusly I need to be able to sell past archived pdfs as well, or several together. Basically I need the process to be totally automatic, so that I don't need to be the one sending out the pdf every time an order is placed. Any ideas very welcome!
    Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.jshop.co.uk supports multiple digital purchases with automated dispatch

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. What I really need is a free/open source solution. I have used things like zen and oscommerce long ago, but seem to remember they don't do digital purchases with automated dispatch.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there's contributions/hacks for the above software that may do what you need. If not, try hotscripts.com, there's plenty of paypal digital purchase scripts - of course, they are not free (but usually only $50-$100), but I don't see why this should be a restriction, not when you are making money from the software, it's just a cost of doing business. Plus with paid software, you'll get guaranteed support.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks shadowbox, I will ask around in the forums on the open source ecommerce sites and check out hotscripts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use DLGuard to sell my affiliate strategy course, which is a pdf. It handles paypal IPN and other payment systems too. The purchaser then gets directed to a download link that can have a timed expiry and also #download limit on it.

There's no limit to the #products you can add, but you will need to make a "thankyou" page for each product, but just clone it.

DLGuard also has a membership feature which might be more appropriate for you - so members pay a subscription and have access to all the downloads. This might be easier to manage.

Cheers,
    Peter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds very intersting too, thanks.