SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollover question

I have some tabs on my website and the programmer did it in flash. But I have to activate the tab bar to use rollovers on the tabs.

I told him to use javascript, but he said there was already too much javascript on the homepage. Does that make senes? Will too much javascript make a site not function? Is there any other solution to have rollovers other than flash or javascript?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is not what language something is written in that is important as how big the total page is and whether the page is usable without any scriping at all.

A homepage should be under 40k total size if you want everyone to stay long enough for it to load. Ev erything should then be accessible via plain text links so that those with all scripting languages disabled can still navigate the site.

Of course Javascript is still more accessible than Flash since Flash requires a plugin to run and many people don't like plugins. If there is too much javascript on the home page maybe you need to rethink what you have there. Javascript (and other client side code such as Flash) should only be used to enhance the page for those visitors who have it enabled, it shouldn't be used for anything that must be there.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">