SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some book recommendations

As a spin off from a recent thread I made, I decided to learn some programming languages to improve my skills portfolio in my holidays. However, having no programming experience (well little in Lingo and VB if you can count this), I need some recommendations on good books to buy that cover all concepts and also for a new programmer with no experience (best to start from square 1).

Also, people say that books do not teach you important general concepts, so should I buy a non-language specific programming book (ie one that covers programming as a general topic)?

The skills I would like to learn are:

C#: Beginning Visual C# 2005 with Sams Teach Yourself Visual Studio.NET in 21 Days (Sams Teach Yourself S.) and Sams Teach Yourself C# in 21 days
    Python: Learning Python
    Java: Learning Java/Java in a nutshell
    Unix: Sams Teach Yourself Unix in 24 hrs and/or Unix for dummies?
    Javascript: Not sure, there seems to be several very good books on this.

These skills are what the jobs I am interested in going into require, and what I do not know. I prefer using books to ebooks as it is nicer to have a physical book in front of me which I can annotate, and most books come with CDs with source code and other stuff. Finally, will I need any books on maths or stats?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be hard to get your head round some of the concepts by books alone, would you consider a part-time course in the evening... And the sams books, I don't particulary like them, I would choose something from a professional company like wrox etc...

Also another idea would be too buy a CBT, like cbtnuggets.com
    it's a visual classroom on a cd/dvd

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to agree with Keith, and it would be ideal to get some real world experience to complement your theory. Wrox books are good (I'm working my way through Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 and it's excellent) and there's one called "Beginning Visual C# 2005". If you're into web programming (and had the money!) you could buy a cheap domain, get some cheap .net hosting and practice on that.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babyboy808
    It will be hard to get your head round some of the concepts by books alone, would you consider a part-time course in the evening... And the sams books, I don't particulary like them, I would choose something from a professional company like wrox etc...

Also another idea would be too buy a CBT, like cbtnuggets.com
    it's a visual classroom on a cd/dvd
    I did consider part time courses but they are way too expensive and, even though I live in London, there aren't courses that are exactly on what I want to do. So books it is. My SAMS book on learn SQL in 24 hours is extremely useful and has taught me a lot on SQL so I'm partial to SAMS.

The CBT link you have provided is intriguing, however.

hooperman,

Yep, the books you have mentioned are ones I am interested in.