User Tag List

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some advice

Hey, I think this goes in here...

I have an ASP news board application that you can download from my site, which is selfcontained, and no knowledge of ASP is need to install it.

Now, I'm almost finished version 2.6, and it has the same functions in it as many of the ones that people pay for, and a few extra ones (mainly multi-user ).

But, for mine, it is 100% free. Even when you download it, there is nothing on it, not banner, or anything. The only thing that there is, is a small copyright notice at the bottom of the page, in gray to no be noticable, and a link to my site. And this can be removed for a few bucks.

But no-one knows this!! I submitted it to the ASP Directories, and that got me a 1000 hits but no its started to dry off because it's moved from the "New" section. The feedback I've got for it has been very positive, alot saying how great it was, and that was only version 2.5.

So my question/request is how do you think would be the best way to let people know about me? I can't spend much money right now, not until mid-november at the earliest.

thanks guys

Oh, if you want ot try it, http://e4ums.oreosnbeer.com/development/v26/login.asp its there, the username is admin and the password is 12345temp . That is the development version, the one I'm actually working on, so it might die sometimes when you on it

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Put it in your signature link.

2. Try submitting it to directories as well. If you want to PM me with the url for the homepage and a brief objective description I'll see about adding it to Looksmart for you. I edit their PHP category now so it's not a stretch for me to submit an ASP site.

3. I assuming you're alread doing this.. and this ties in with the above... but treat it like a website. Promote it like you would a website in the search engines etc.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The search engines would be your best bet I think. The likes of Google, Lycos and ODP, ie. the free ones.

If you can get near the top of the google rankings for "free discussion boards" or something similar, I reckon you'll recieve a ton of hits. Also you could try some ASP code websites where you can add your own code. I can't think of any off the top of my head though.

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys

I did submit it tp DMOZ about 2-3 weeks ago, but I never heard anything back about it. And I have sebmitted it to the liks of yahoo and altavista and stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to be incredibly patient with ODP. It can take ages. Believe me, I'm and editor

It normally takes between 4-6 weeks. If it's not in there after 6 weeks, either try again, or contact the category editor. Some of the editors get annoyed when people contact them direct, but it never bothers me. If I'm busy I won't do any editing, and I need to be reminded.

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing that comes to mind: the download page. Are you describing your product well? Have you explained the benefits, not the features? Did you outline why your message board is better than others?

Can you give us the link of your download page? That would really help.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try submitting to webmaster sites. Those are the people your product is geared at, and webmaster directories are one of the easiest sites to get listed in.

Maybe write a short e-book about the advantages of ASP over other message board formats. Explain some basics of your product and how to use it. Submit that e-book to free e-book sites and see what happens.

Good Luck,
    Ryan