SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation php 4.1.1, apache 2.0.54 and MySql 5.0 ( mysqli issues )

Hello,

Usually I don't post issues like this because I can figure them out on my own, but this one is seriously causing me some confusion. I am currently working on a project that requires the above setup ( view topic title ). I know that mysqli support does not come packaged with php 4.x.x, but I need it so php can interact with mysql 5.

What I usually do is snag the php_mysqli.dll from my php5 setup ( I run both version side by side ) and drop it into my php4 extension directory and modify the php.ini for php4 accordingly.

Well, for some odd reason, it's not working right and apache is throwing 'build errors' in my face.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to run this sort of setup with mysqli functionality?
    2) If the answer to question one is 'yes', then how exactly would I go about doing this?

This is somewhat urgent as it's preventing me from getting some client work done and a deadline is approaching. If I could get ANY help at all, I would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry if this doesn't help
    but why are you using php 4, when you have a working php5 version?

also, why do you need mysqli to connect to mysql5 (i haven't used this setup, but i would assume that it would work with the standard mysql extension)?

anyway, judging by the lack of resonse, i would say that this is not possible

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I do have both versions of php running side by side on my box. I also have MySQL 4.x and 5.x running side by side ( just on different port numbers ). I do this to make sure that all projects I develop are backwards compatible with older configurations.

The option of 'just upgrading to the latest version' is not always acceptable. Also, most hosts still have not upgraded to PHP 5.

Also, from my understanding, mysqli is required for php versions 4 < 5 to connect to mysql versions 4.1 and up.

In this particular instance, my client needs to have this project able to properly run under the mentioned setup.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think it is possible to use MySQL5 with PHP4. The only way I know of is to use PHP5. Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody else? If the consensus is 'no', then I suppose I'll have to find some other route to take. Thx, though, guys!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately i can't help you further on the mysql 5/php 4 issue
    but i can tell you that you do not need mysqli to connect to mysql 4.1 or greater

i have used mysql and mysqli (both on php 5) with mysql 4.1+

and know that the mysql (php 5) extension will work with mysql 5, not sure about php 4, but i would presume so (as long as the mysql extension is installed using the mysql 5 client)
    (the above is all using linux)

you say that most hosts haven't upgraded to php 5, that is true, but it is also true that most hosts haven't upgraded to mysql 5 (even fewer i would guess)

also, i've stopped using windows + php as a development environment, as it is not realistic, and lacks all the extra features of a linux environment (i'm not saying that's what you should do), but from what i remember, there wasn't a mysql 5 client for php 5 (that was in november last year though)

you might also want to consider using pear (this may take the whole issue out of question) as you won't have to worry about whether it works or not, let pear do that

hth
    dave
    Last edited by dtra; Apr 24, 2006 at 04:54.