User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this possible?

Hi,

this is really both a ServerSide plus a Client side question

What I am trying to do is update a section of a webpage without the need to refresh the page, now the twist is I want this data to dynamicaly come from an ActiveX DLL and ASP I have.

I have seen somthing similar to what i want to do with the online virus scan programs that scan your system from the internet instead of having a virus app on your system (i.e www.pandasoftware.com 's "ActiveScan")

Is this possible?

Thanks in Advance
    .NET Code Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I understand it right: you want a client side ActiveX control that can connect to a webserver serving ASP pages? This can be done. You'll probably need some sort of activex control or com dll that can easily make http connections. If you search on the web for "http connection activex" you'll probably find lots of (paying) components that will do the job. Make a connection with your webserver and call your ASP page. The result will be a stream of HTML. You can parse this stream and use it in your client side control. You might even use the ie control that comes with VS 6.0 and IE 4 or 5 (there are differences though). It is possible, but I personally wouldn't like an activex do something like the ActiveScan anti-virus component. It is a security risk to scan your disc like that. But what the heck, some people don't care about their privacy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Not quite, I already have written and ActiveX control all I want to find out if whether it is possible to have some parts of a html page that can continualy be updated without the need to refresh the page

Say for an example I had a percentage complete area on a html page, now all I want to do is send variables to the page and update a certain area with these variables
    .NET Code Monkey

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al,

Have a look into the innerHTML style property. With this you change elements contents by using the element id. If you just wrap the elements you want to change with span tags and give them an id you can reference them.

You may also want to look into using the MS XML parser thats built into IE5+ as well. With this you can use the XMLHttpRequest object send an HTTP request (from the client)and receive the response (ie from your asp page). This'd save you having to use an ActiveX control. This'd still tie you to IE but people wouldn't have the security concerns that they'd have with the control.