User Tag List

Thread: eChecks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eChecks

Ok, let me start off by saying I have a merchant account with charge.com and am pretty happy with it. I am starting to wish though that I had gone with another authorize.net service provder because charge.com does not offer the authorize.net echeck solution, instead they have a partnership with a... well... a company that doesn't compare. The solution they provide is, the person fills out the required information from their checkbook, it is emailed to me, I print out a check (I have to purchase 150 checks from this company first), bring it to my bank, deposit it, hope it doesn't bounce, etc. It's a nightmare and not worth doing. Authorize.net offers real-time check processing but charge.com doesn't take advantage of this feature unfortunately.

Basically, I'm stuck with 3 choices here:
    1. Find another authorize.net solution provider that takes advantage of the echecks and go through the whole application process again and slowly get discover/amex added again.
    2. Go with one of those places that is just like a merchant account for echecks, they generally charge about $1 per check and there are $25 per month in fees.
    3. Just use paypal on top of my merchant account like I'm doing.

The problem is I think a lot of people don't want to fill out the paypal crap to get setup and it takes a couple of days to link a bank account, if not more. This kills a lot of potential buys. If all someone had to do was put in their checking account number, routing number, etc. it would be a lot easier. I'm hesitant though to pay $25 per month in fees plus $1 per transaction.

Anyone have any suggestions, URLs, etc.?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people with a checking account also have an ATM Debit card (with a Mastercard or Visa logo).

If they do you can process the debit as a normal charge and not worry about checks.

If someone is willing to give you their checking account info I can't see why they wouldn't let you do a debit "charge" instead.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My target audience is mostly young males from the age of 18-24. A lot of these people don't even have credit cards, but they do have checking accounts. I know when I was 18 I didn't have a credit/debit card, but I did have a checking account.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I signed up with a similar program Leif was talking about where you have to fill in all the person's checking information and print it off yourself. I haven't used it but I have all the software for it.

I just signed up with PayByCheck.com it cost $99 to sign up and $10 a month. I just signed up this week and I don't know how good it is. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Ryan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paybycheck is actually the company I was referring to that charges over $1 ($1.36 with verification per check to be exact) per check processed. That's quite a processing fee if you ask me, plus their gateway fees and all that junk it'll really add up. I guess if you add in transaction fee for CC processing it might come close to equal, but I'm just looking for an all in one solution to avoid paying two $25 per month fees. I know authorize.net does echecking, but charge.com doesn't support it unfortunately.

Payment Acceptance Expert jconley2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Leif,

Then it might be in your best interest to move to another Merchant Account Provider. You might actually have some play by going this route also. Charge.com offers some very good rates, I would go around and see if you can get an even better pricing schedule (make sure it's not introductory, but rather fixed) from another provider that offers the Authorize.Net service -- which most do. You could end up getting even better rates then you do now, plus the eCheck service that Authorize.Net offers.

Once you found a company to take you on, give Charge.com a 30-day notice and you shouldn't incur any cancellation charges. In fact, if the new provider is truly interested in your business they will take care of doing the 30-day notice for you. Once they recieve the notice you can move ahead with the transfer. The paperwork involved shouldn't be too aweful much and the new provider will most likely take care of all the switching.

But I see this as a double benefit for you:

1. You get the eCheck service
    2. Possibly get better rates from the next company -- just tell them what you're paying now and see if they'll do better.

To your success,

Jim Conley II
    Your Payment Acceptance Expert
    Get FREE copy of "Top 3 Merchant Account Pitfalls REVEALED" -
    http://www.discount-merchant-account.com
    Touch-Tone Credit Card Processing - $39 setup & $5/month

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from the charge.com website:
    This service allows you to accept checks from your customers over the phone, by fax, or through the Internet via email or the World Wide Web. Other companies charge up to $300.00 or more to set up this service. We set up the service for you absolutely free, just for applying. Imagine never having to wait to receive checks from customers through the mail. This is the perfect complement to your credit card merchant account because it will allow you to get impulse sales by both credit card and check.
    After I set up my charge.com account, they didn't give me any info on how to accept checks. I had to drag it out of them. They finally sent me forms to accept checks from echecks. It is now integrated into my authorize.net payment area. I can accept checks as easily as I can accept credit cards.

Leif, I'm not sure why you aren't able to do the same. Try to make charge.com live up to the promises on their site.
    http://www.echo-consulting.net - Sound Solutions for Online Inspriations.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange, in their initial 'acceptance' email they sent me to www.charge.com/checks which redirects to http://www.checkman.com/msp/Charge.com/?
    I hope this isn't what you're referring to, as this is not authorize.nets echeck solution. This solution makes you buy check paper from them, accept checks, print them out, bring them to your bank, etc. It's not a fun solution and just not worth it, especially since the checks can bounce. I think I'd end up wasting a lot of time and not making much off of this solution. I'll call up charge.com tomorrow and see about doing it through authorize.net, thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leif,

I didn't mean credit cards. I mean debit cards. Any one in that age group knows what a debit card is and if they have a checking account they most likely have one.

Go for the echecks too but I would push the debit card aspect instead. Odds are they are already using it for other purchases.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back when I offered client solutions from my company, a lot of them did about 20% of their business with onlien checking just because users seem to think that it's that much more secure and it is... most merchants don't accept online checks, so scammers just can't give a number and use that to steal money, however... they can get that information, print out their own checks, and use them at retailers on or offline... Which could be bad, fortunately though with checks, you have to input driver's license information at 80% of retailers in order to use them and that will check the validity of that check to the person that is writing it.