SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jEdit: Extremely Useful Tool

After playing around with jEdit for a little bit I can honestly say it's the best editor I've ever used. It's way snappier than Komodo which is what I was using which is the biggest plus for me. It's also platform independent because it was written in Java. The best thing about it though are the plugins. Honestly the plugins are the best part. Integrated FTP for uploading and IRC to ask those questions when you really need to. Project manager is invaluable.

Amazing. If nobody's used it I suggest you at least try it. It won't hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check out the Project Viewer and SuperAbbrevs plugins, which are pretty nifty

I love jEdit except for the memory it seems to eat up on my systems . It's also kind of weird on Macs but I can live with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried it and it looks like it could be just what I'm looking for except one thing... cleartype isn't working in it. But I've been having font issues since I installed a new vid card yesterday.

Is cleartype working for anyone else with jEdit? On my pc is looks as if no font smoothing or cleartype is enable :S Very blocky and hard to read, the menu's, editor panel.. everything, very very chunky.

(I've tried tweaking cleartype, nothing is helping. This isn't the only program with this issue. Lol, I'm beginning to wonder if it's just that I'd got used to fuzzy, blurry type with my old card. Some programs cleartype is working fine though.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LunaC
    I just tried it and it looks like it could be just what I'm looking for except one thing... cleartype isn't working in it. But I've been having font issues since I installed a new vid card yesterday.

Is cleartype working for anyone else with jEdit? On my pc is looks as if no font smoothing or cleartype is enable :S Very blocky and hard to read, the menu's, editor panel.. everything, very very chunky.

(I've tried tweaking cleartype, nothing is helping. This isn't the only program with this issue. Lol, I'm beginning to wonder if it's just that I'd got used to fuzzy, blurry type with my old card. Some programs cleartype is working fine though.)
    Being a Java app, it doesn't follow typical Windows rules for on-screen display

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that explains it then for that program, maybe a few others. Saves me a bit of time playing with settings.

I wonder if there's a plugin for clearer fonts in it. I'll go take a look.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread is very old, but for all those souls that found it in the hell of information overload aka Internet:

To set antialiased fonts in JEdit go to Utilities > Global Options > JEdit > TextArea. At the bottom there is setting for antialiased fonts. Experiment a little and enjoy nice fonts !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

There's a parameter that you can pass to JRE when it opens and executes an application:

java -jar yourapplication.jar -Dswing.aatext=true

This parameter tells JRE to turn antialiasing for all fonts. Works under Windows and Linux (tested myself) and most likely other platforms too.