SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What does it take to start an ecommerce site?

I am working for a start-up educational publishing company who has hired me as an intern to do some research about how to go about creating a site for their company as well as how to make a shopping cart function.

I have looked at template sites, I have looked at credit processing sites, and I have looked at real sites for inspiration.

The question is how do we go about this from start to finish? We must create a website (using templates or not), granted, but how do we go about getting a merchant account? How does the site become secure? and perhaps most importantly, what are the costs?

I wouldappreciate any help you can give! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just need a product to sell
    A cc processor

Do you know how to build sites? I see you've only got one post in. Do some searching through the forums and when you get done you'll be a whole lot more in tuned than when you started. There is a wealth of information on here.
    Gunwallet.com- Digitally backup vital gun information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambition.
    ATTENTION: Affiliates in the Health Niche
    $297 Product rigorously tested to at least 2% Conversion Rate
    PM for details.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they expecting you to create the ecommerce site for them, or is your job just to research possibilities and then find a developer to handle the actual ecommerce development?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    money, time to do it, and a professional to do it right the first time.
    - AGCIC aka Matt
    latest creation : QualityXHTML.com
    personal site: OkayMatt.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen I know of a company that would create/design your site from start to finish, which would include shopping cart, template use with custom design, back office capablities, product uploads and more. Of course it comes with a price if your company is willing to pay..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

You've takin the right first step by asking for help on this board. I just joined today and can't believe the amount of resources that are available.
    First take a look at the top threads of the eCommerce subforum to learn the fundamentals of the payment processing industry. Then browse the internet for more information regarding specific products and services, and do not forget to read user experiences as that should be the critical factor when choosing the company that meets your needs best.
    Depending on your skills, abilities, and financial resources, you can consider either hiring a company to design and create an entire website or you can save some money by hiring separate companies involved in your website (to design it, code it, update it, handle payment processing, marketing needs, communicating with users, and other needs you site might have).
    Goodluck and be sure to ask as many many questions, that's what we are here for!